Like Tree4Likes

contactless payments

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

contactless payments

Just come back from the UK. Seems contactless credit card payments has taken off in a massive way there. My UK credit card has had this function for several years, but was the first time I used it this time round and pretty much anywhere that has a credit card terminal accepts contactless. On top of that it is now integrated into the London transport system and can be linked with Oyster, meaning you can use your credit card to pay for fares (like you would do with Octopus here).

We do have versions of this in HK (via visa and mc) but I don't think it has really taken off here. Wonder why?

Yes, I know you can use Octopus here, but with contactless in the UK you can pretty much use it wherever takes credit card using the same credit card terminal. Octopus payments here require a separate terminal.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

There's a security issue with those contactless cards.

In the UK it's really expanded over the past two years, but the big push was when Transport for London integrated it into the Oyster system and removed cash payments from buses last year. I'm not sure if outside of London contactless is used as widely.

I think the main barrier to this being widespread across HK is the lack of Visa/Mastercard debit cards. The only contactless readers I've seen in HK have been Visa or MC and I prefer to use cash or debit to pay for basic items rather than my credit card. In London I just used my debit card to buy lunch or ride the bus so it was the same as cash, didn't have to worry about paying a CC bill at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    There's a security issue with those contactless cards.
    What is it? If I recall transactions were limited to £20 at a time and any purchases made with them appeared in online banking with the contactless symbol next to them, so if someone was running around town using it you'd be able to see very quickly and contact the bank.

Can I walk around the tube station waving a reader around people's arses and handbags, sucking 20 quid a pop of everyone?

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    In the UK it's really expanded over the past two years, but the big push was when Transport for London integrated it into the Oyster system and removed cash payments from buses last year. I'm not sure if outside of London contactless is used as widely.

I think the main barrier to this being widespread across HK is the lack of Visa/Mastercard debit cards. The only contactless readers I've seen in HK have been Visa or MC and I prefer to use cash or debit to pay for basic items rather than my credit card. In London I just used my debit card to buy lunch or ride the bus so it was the same as cash, didn't have to worry about paying a CC bill at the end of the month.
    I was using my Amex credit card for contactless. No problems at all.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    What is it? If I recall transactions were limited to £20 at a time and any purchases made with them appeared in online banking with the contactless symbol next to them, so if someone was running around town using it you'd be able to see very quickly and contact the bank.
    Research home - Computing Science - Newcastle University

Which? reveals contactless card flaw - July - 2015 - Which? News
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I was using my Amex credit card for contactless. No problems at all.
    That's not what I meant...I mean that personally I prefer to make everyday expenses with a debit card or cash, and use credit card for larger purchases. So the UK system was great, I used my debit contactless. Here in HK the only cards I have with Visa or MC on them are credit cards, and I don't like to use those at the supermarket.

I do note that csl have launched something called tap an go, but its more prepaid using your phone. why I like contactless with credit card is you still get the relevant points etc.

Criminals will always find a way. It's still easier to stick a camera above an ATM or a retail POS and collect info on card numbers and expiration dates - the traditional method of scamming cards. I'm not sure what the foolproof method would be - cash can be lost and stolen too.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast