Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By pin
  • 2 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 1 Post By AGxM

Chinese only adverts

Closed Thread

Chinese only adverts

OK, yes, it is very much the case that HK is majority Chinese speaking, no doubt about that and there are clearly many adverts that are Chinese only. But what gets me is when a company like HKT, which promotes in both English and Chinese has selective adverts that are Chinese only: csl

Anyway, Monday rant over.

HK_Katherine and wtbhotia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    OK, yes, it is very much the case that HK is majority Chinese speaking, no doubt about that and there are clearly many adverts that are Chinese only. But what gets me is when a company like HKT, which promotes in both English and Chinese has selective adverts that are Chinese only: csl

Anyway, Monday rant over.
    forget about the Cantonese adverts, what's the point of mandarin tv adverts in HK, obviously, tvb when they export their drama to the mainland, the adverts will be localized for their market.

What really pisses me off is when they email or post crap to me in chinese. I mean, how much intelligence does it take to split your marketing campaign into two? (or three)?

AGxM and Bumble-bee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    What really pisses me off is when they email or post crap to me in chinese. I mean, how much intelligence does it take to split your marketing campaign into two? (or three)?
    This! The number of texts and emails I get in Cantonese is frustrating, especially when you have indicated that you speak English on all the t&cs....my work colleagues know more about my mobile phone plan than I do!
    Bumble-bee likes this.

Emailed CSL, response was as follows: "Your concern has been noted and has been forwarded to the related department for reference."

i.e. fcuk off, we don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Emailed CSL, response was as follows: "Your concern has been noted and has been forwarded to the related department for reference."

i.e. fcuk off, we don't care.
    depends who and where you have emailed, if cs, then yes, if you are clever and sussed out an executive using their from the internet ( ie, linkedin) and guess the email format for csl, I bet you get a much different response

also note, the higher up the chain you write to, the quicker and more positive response you will discover

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    forget about the Cantonese adverts, what's the point of mandarin tv adverts in HK, obviously, tvb when they export their drama to the mainland, the adverts will be localized for their market.

TVB and ATV are broadcast as is around Guangdong Province. Although they do black out stuff occasionally from the news). Also, there are many Mandarin speakers living here now too.

As had very bad experiences communicating with HKBN in English. they seemed to understand but they don't, they were only taught how to response in standard way so they don't get into trouble. The truth is none of them care about your problem until I threaten to make a complain. It works perfect. Problem solved in 30 mins!