Dollar stores in HK?

Closed Thread

Dollar stores in HK?

Just moved here and am wondering where one would go to buy basic
    household supplies cheap.

In particular, I am looking for plastic clothes hangers and a plastic
    laundry basket.

Tried the upmarket malls and supermarkets (too expensive) and the
    night markets at Temple St and Fa Yuen St, but no go.

Large North American cities are dotted with dollar stores
    packed with cheap, made-in-China or made-in-HK goods, many of
    quite serviceable quality.

What's the equivalent of the dollar store here?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

There are the Jusco $10 Plaza stores (although not everything is $10); there are also Japan Home Centre and Man Fung which are more "expensive".

JUSCO $10 PLAZA

Japan Home Centre

BTW, the stuff in these places is often "made in Japan". There are others which I'm sure others will post about.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 13-10-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Jusco has a number of "$10 Dollar Stores" in Hong Kong, that are similar to what you are looking for.

check here and look under "$10 Plaza" for locations

my local mall (Tiu Keng Leng) also has a "$7.80 Store' open recently with things for the HK equiv. of a US Dollar store

Last edited by timklip; 13-10-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Little local stores are the equivalent.

If you were on HK side I would say go to the stores or stalls in "The Lanes" (Li Yuen Street East and West, between Queen's Road and Des Voeux Road). I've picked up hangers and basic household stuff there very cheaply.

Dollar Store, not the same but fairly cheap for HK.

Try Price Rite there is one in Causeway Bay also Olympic center on the Kowloon side, Tung Chung Line of MTR. I would also go to Ikea at Telford Plaza or in Shatin, both on MTR lines.
    Good Luck its a hunt! What else you looking for?
    Cheers.

lots of Pricerites here...housewares but I wouldn't classify them with the 'dollar stores' as such...

QTSA Web

Thanks, folks, very impressed by the speed and helpfulness of your replies. This looks like a great resource and a great community. I've just added the forums page to my bookmarks toolbar.

Claire and timklip, thanks for the Jusco $10 Plaza lead. There's one in my neck of the urban forest, and I'll check it out today.

Claire, ain't it ironic that the west gets the made in China stuff but Asians can get made in Japan goods at similar prices.

timklip, $7.80 Store Will take a look next time I'm on the TKO line.

PDLM, The Lanes sound intriguing, especially the "very cheaply" part. Thanks, I'll take a look on my way to work.

mangoflower, thanks, I'll remember PriceRite and IKEA when it's time to furnish my apartment. First, of course, I'll have to find one ...

There are a few of the Japanese Home Center type stores right where Tin Hau MTR A1 exit along Electric Road.

Thanks, Kudra. I found a Japan Home Centre and a Man Fung clustered around my local Jusco $10 Plaza as well.