Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Shoe Care - Recrafting replacing cork

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Read the OP, he's already been to that allyway and can't get the work done.
    I don't agree with that assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    Wow, $950 for a sole is really expensive. You should be able to get a complete re-sole, including heel, leather - for under $500 at those two cobblers in alleyway beside A&F. If you want to replace the inner liner, this will be extra but not that much more. The Topy rubber outer should be around $95 extra as well, but get them to throw it in if you are doing a complete resole.
    Yeah I have had heel and leather done for 500 multiple times there

I am willing to try this place just to try for once

The shoes c and j aren't even worth it but what the heck

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    The guy underneath the midlevels escalator, just beneath Hollywood road is very good.
    I get him to do all my shoe work, good english and reasonably priced.
    He is very busy though (a good sign), so you may need to wait a bit for your job to be completed
    Any clarification on where he is??

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    Any clarification on where he is??
    You can't miss him, he's just about opposite Cochranes Bar and Grill hereCochrane's Bar and Grill
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    The shoes c and j aren't even worth it but what the heck
    "c & j" - you mean Crockett & Jones? - those are certainly worth it to get a nice sole job done.

Glad you got what you want. I like to try new places too just to see what the extra gets me. To be honest the A&F cobblers gets you the minimum - ie full leather sole and heel with exposed thread. On nicer shoes the threads are not exposed, but the A&F guys cannot do that style well. The cobbler has to peel back 2mm of the sole's outer layer at the edge, sew onto the midsole and then fold back the outer sole layer and glue down. If not done right the layer will start to peel. I would say 99% of HK cobblers will not go to that amount of trouble to get a much nicer finish.

yes they are crockett and jones - I actually prefer Alden and George Cleverly.

I also noticed the exposed thread. Is there anything functionally wrong with exposed thread (other than yes it doesn't look as swanky)

I go through soles like crazy in HK. The combination of the wet weather and the harsher streets really wear down my shoes to the point that I have started trying TOPY.

Leather soles and wet weather and mid levels is a death sentence.

Nothing wrong with the exposed thread except for esthetics. Usually more expensive shoes come with the channel soles. I change my soles at least once a year since they wear out easily in HK, despite me rotating my shoes. I usually find the sole wears out before the threads do. The Topys make the soles last a lot longer and avoids slips, but I am a bit of a traditionalist and prefer bare leather meeting ground. I went to the A&F alleyway today and now one of the stalls (the one with the mid-forties, bald guy with moustache) do the channeled soles. He showed me his work, not bad, but I suspect the leather that he uses is not the best. The C&J come with oak-bark tanned leather soles and it would be nice to get the same when replacing them. Did the cobbler you went to use JR leather soles? These are said to be the best, highest density leather, so last longer and more water resistant.

Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1442890438.571476.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  520.0 KB

Finished results
    robertlempriere likes this.

Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1442890465.310896.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  305.4 KBhis Facebook page where he takes tons of photos of his work

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1442890438.571476.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  520.0 KB