Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Shoe Care - Recrafting replacing cork

I am happy with the work. I am less happy with the price. I totally understand the price as he has a proper store on the escalator and I don’t even want to guess what the rent is; then again maybe he owns? It’s nice to know that he is a reliable option. Still, he is not going to be my first option. I might use a mail order service in the USA next.

I’ll probably end up putting on topy soles. While I’ll enjoy the feel of walking on the leather sole, I need a shoe rotation for those wet days and I’ll save the Aldens for the dry days.

@TLP He did not use JR soles. He quotes that he uses an italian sole. Also, I don’t know if he uses original lasts

Elegiaque and jgl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow

I’ll probably end up putting on topy soles. While I’ll enjoy the feel of walking on the leather sole, I need a shoe rotation for those wet days and I’ll save the Aldens for the dry days.
    What's the difference that you feel with leather vs synthetic?

I've had both on shoes, and all I can notice is that leather soles feel slightly less grippy. That mixed with HK rainy season has dissuaded me from leather soles.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    What's the difference that you feel with leather vs synthetic?

I've had both on shoes, and all I can notice is that leather soles feel slightly less grippy. That mixed with HK rainy season has dissuaded me from leather soles.
    With leather soles you can feel more "grounded" like you are one with the floor

I'm quite happy to not feel at one with grimy HK streets

I've switched the same shoes from leather to synthetic, haven't personally noticed any disadvantages- they feel identical in terms of comfort, but with better traction, so was wondering if I'm missing something.

Last edited by jgl; 28-09-2015 at 04:20 PM.
    shri likes this.

Agreed. With leather soles there is more feel

Topy is a very thin rubber that goes on top of your leather sold

For shoe nuts a rubber sole doesn't look as appealing on the shoe

With topy it's not so noticeable

I'm an admitted shoe snob so I prefer leather soles without the Topys. The reasons are two fold - the shoes are lighter and I prefer the feel of leather on ground. I also get the feeling that all leather breathes better, although I also treat the bottoms before wearing to reduce water penetration. With Topys the sole wears out a lot slower and you get better grip on shiny marble floors. Though on wet pavement, they are about the same as leather only. The thing that really bugs me with the Topys is they always get floppy - maybe I am a toe dragger. Since it is easy in HK to get a sole replaced, I have not added Topys to my work shoes.

I would love to find a place that sells the JR soles though. These are the best quality out there.

I also have shoes that have a Dainite sole. This is a complete hard rubber sole that is Goodyear welted. The nipped outsole gives good grip on loose surfaces (sand, pebbles) and to me it feels tougher. Though for HK, I am not seeing too much benefit. Plus the sole is heavier.

I really hate shoes from Prada and Tods since their glued on soles are not as easy to replace when worn down. So it means I have to toss the shoes sooner than I want despite them being very comfortable.

Advice

While we're on the topic, can you guys help educate me about good shoe care? (I grew up in a place where people bought $20 shoes and just threw them away... not a practice I agree with anymore.)

I bought these Crockett & Jones shoes some time before coming to Hong Kong. They asked if I wanted them with a rubber sole for 60 pounds more. Instead I decided I was spending enough, so I would just keep the leather sole, make use of it and then get it replaced later. I've never gotten it replaced. But the sole did develop a kind of nasty hole early on when I came to HK and I took it to Groom and all they offered to do was glue this plastic cover over the bottom.

So if I want to put rubber soles on, I guess I would have to go to this expensive guy near Hollywood Rd.? And would I get it "recorked"? From these pictures, do you have any other advice for how to care for them? (I guess I was thinking rubber would be better in HK because of the wet weather, but I do prefer the look of leather.) I'd like them to last 10-20 years with good care. Obviously they're already not in the best of shape and got some water damage on the sides, and the toes are pretty banged up.

Those don't look that bad as that is the original sole and you've done nothing except add the Topy. There is not too much curl of the leather, but the mid sole shows some delayering and the Topy is separating from the sole. Given that you said there was a hole in the sole you will need a rebuild of the cork footbed which the cobbler will have to do before sewing on the new sole. The wear on the heel is OK and you may get by with just a half sole replacement. But I would replace the whole thing as that will make you feel a lot better. The water damage in the instep cannot be fixed but at least you won't notice it. Once the resole is done, take it to the shoeshine guy in basement of Landmark outside Tassles. Ask for the $95 special to see if he can bring your doggies back to life. For under $600 all in, I think you will be satisfied.

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    Those don't look that bad as that is the original sole and you've done nothing except add the Topy. There is not too much curl of the leather, but the mid sole shows some delayering and the Topy is separating from the sole. Given that you said there was a hole in the sole you will need a rebuild of the cork footbed which the cobbler will have to do before sewing on the new sole. The wear on the heel is OK and you may get by with just a half sole replacement. But I would replace the whole thing as that will make you feel a lot better. The water damage in the instep cannot be fixed but at least you won't notice it. Once the resole is done, take it to the shoeshine guy in basement of Landmark outside Tassles. Ask for the $95 special to see if he can bring your doggies back to life. For under $600 all in, I think you will be satisfied.
    Thanks!!! Very helpful. Is there anyone else you all would recommend other than the guy under the escalator for getting the whole sole replaced? I got the heels kind of "fixed up" some time ago, that's why they look all right. Before I was walking in a very funny way because of the lack of balance on the heels. But because of this hole in the bottom, I think I should probably get the whole thing redone soon. So I guess getting the whole sole replaced is around $500?

Thanks for the tip about the guy outside Tassles. I do polish my own shoes from time to time, but clearly it's nicer having someone else (trustworthy) doing it.

I've used the two stalls beside the A&F building on Pedder. The one on the left is called Shing Do and he did the pair of shoes that I am now wearing (Church's). I've used the one on the right more and think he is slightly better quality wise. They are not the best if you want to absolute best quality. For example they did not carve out a deep enough channel for the thread on the pair I am wearing now, which meant the threads were more exposed. Also, I was not too happy with the heel which I felt were a little too tall. I think I paid $475 last time for a full resole including heel. I am picky, as most people will be 100% satisfied with their work. Chi Chow's shoes look like a better job admittedly, but then he is paying double.

Elegiaque likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast