Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Shoe Care - Recrafting replacing cork

So the stalls are actually on the little lane perpendicular to Pedder St., right? So if you're on Pedder St. and walk down this little lane that goes parallel to the stinky A&F store, which ones are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    Still, he is not going to be my first option. I might use a mail order service in the USA next.
    If you want the absolute best quality in the world many of the shoe producers will take your shoes and totally refurbish them to the same standards as new shoes. I know C&J offers this service and you ship your shoes off to their Northampton factory for the refurbishment. One level down from that is B.Nelson in New York. They do mail order. They will even deliver your shoes back to you in cedar shoe trees and a fleece liner bag.

This is the guy (and the stall beside his) that I have been talking about.

Traditional Shoe / Leather Repair Man by Central MTR Station | Raven Tao : Big City Small Apartment

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    If you want the absolute best quality in the world many of the shoe producers will take your shoes and totally refurbish them to the same standards as new shoes. I know C&J offers this service and you ship your shoes off to their Northampton factory for the refurbishment. One level down from that is B.Nelson in New York. They do mail order. They will even deliver your shoes back to you in cedar shoe trees and a fleece liner bag.
    Yeah I was going to go with b Nelson next time

@Elegiaque

Honestly I'd go to the guy on the escalator and get it done for 1100 one time. Then later if you are just going to do the sole again then go to peddler street.

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    This is the guy (and the stall beside his) that I have been talking about.

Traditional Shoe / Leather Repair Man by Central MTR Station | Raven Tao : Big City Small Apartment
    Ah yeah, I know the guy. I went to him, I think, to get my heels redone. Friendly guy.

Re-opening this thread, very interesting and insightful.

Is this Hollywood Road guy still around? I've got a pair of shoes that I keep on taking to the Pedder Lane guys but all they end up doing seems to be glueing shoes to the heal (which is what has come off a few times). I wouldn't mind getting a full reworking done.

Also, seems like there are some serious shoe people on this thread. Any other suggestions for good shoe care? I try and rotate my shoes and I try and get them polished every so often as well. Anything else?

Also, where to buy good quality shoes here that aren't overpriced, or better to get them from Europe / North America?

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Re-opening this thread, very interesting and insightful.

Is this Hollywood Road guy still around? I've got a pair of shoes that I keep on taking to the Pedder Lane guys but all they end up doing seems to be glueing shoes to the heal (which is what has come off a few times). I wouldn't mind getting a full reworking done.

Also, seems like there are some serious shoe people on this thread. Any other suggestions for good shoe care? I try and rotate my shoes and I try and get them polished every so often as well. Anything else?

Also, where to buy good quality shoes here that aren't overpriced, or better to get them from Europe / North America?
    Unless your soles are Goodyear welted (ie stitched sole onto midsole/uppers) then repairing a sole will just be glued on which is what you got. eg Prada soles are glued on. For relatively cheap shoes I would buy in England now that the pound has depressed. They have tons of brands. But if you must shop in person then go to the Armoury (basement of Landmark or 3/F above Abercrombie). They carry Carmina which is a Spanish brand that offers good value for money. They also carry Alden. Another place is Tassles (also basement of Landmark). Tassels carry C&J, Alden, Edward Green and a few Italian brands.
    pin likes this.

The Armoury is expensive!!!

Just FYI, the repair shop referred to above (i.e. the more expensive one) has moved to 32 Graham Street.

Ended up going there today. The guy is super passionate about shoes, bags and generally all things leather.

He looked at my shoes and basically said the previous job on them was pretty poor (apparently half leather sole replacement). He charged me HKD$800 for a full rubber sole and heel replacement. So not cheap. But I really like these shoes and if I can get some more years out of them, I am happy to pay that price to see what his work is like.

robertlempriere likes this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast