Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Shoe Care - Recrafting replacing cork

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    The guy is super passionate about shoes, bags and generally all things leather.
    Yep, great guy, good to drop in for a chat too. Certainly not cheap, and you probably need to wait, but worth it.
    Although, he does detract from my excuse to buy new shoes ...

He is on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Repair-Expr...97548570492639
    wayland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    The Armoury is expensive!!!
    Dude, you wear C&J. What are you going on about?

I wear Alden too, but I find dress shoe prices to be silly in Hong Kong and ludicrous at the Armoury.

What pin mentioned before is accurate. Look at the prices that the Armoury will charge here in Hong Kong versus say the USA for Alden.

online example for Alden

Alden Alden Shoes TheShoeMart.com | TheShoeMart.com

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    Yep, great guy, good to drop in for a chat too. Certainly not cheap, and you probably need to wait, but worth it.
    Although, he does detract from my excuse to buy new shoes ...

He is on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Repair-Expr...97548570492639
    I also use this guy and can vouch for his excellent work.

You may want to check - at the Armoury they carry certain lasts in styles that are not part of the regular rotation from the mfg. If you're just treating shoes as commodities then I will agree that prices are steep there. However, if you treat this as an idea service for gentlemen, then I think the store is very good value. They've introduced brands to me that I would never have heard of and pick product partners whose offerings are very consistent with my own tastes. Note disclosure - I am not affiliated with the store, and frankly I am not a fan of Aldens either.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    You may want to check - at the Armoury they carry certain lasts in styles that are not part of the regular rotation from the mfg. If you're just treating shoes as commodities then I will agree that prices are steep there. However, if you treat this as an idea service for gentlemen, then I think the store is very good value. They've introduced brands to me that I would never have heard of and pick product partners whose offerings are very consistent with my own tastes. Note disclosure - I am not affiliated with the store, and frankly I am not a fan of Aldens either.
    I see the value of having brick and mortar, but I still contend that Armoury prices are wacky. I don't blame them...the rent is too damn high.

Having special lasts is something that lots of retailers do with the shoe mrfg

Here is one example

Shop Talk | Leather Soul

what were the original cost of the shoes and then the cost of your service?

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    what were the original cost of the shoes and then the cost of your service?
    Cost of shoes, I can't actually remember, they are about 10 years old.

Cost of service, HK$800. Not cheap for sure, but was very impressed with the service and quality of repair.

The reality is over they years I have probably spent more on repairs to these shoes than I bought for them, but I very much like them. Each time I get them repaired, I say that this is the last time I get them repaired before buying a new pair, and then I get them repaired again!!

The last few repair jobs have been via theatre lane, and were frankly not the best. I said I would give this guy a chance at least once and so far, am happy with the results. Much better job then theatre lane (but naturally you are paying for it).

Yeah I have used this guy before also

its good work

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast