Like Tree21Likes

Shoe Care - Recrafting replacing cork

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Here are a couple of work in progress pics: Notice the JR heel is multilayered and not solid. Looks like a hard rubber & leather outer layer, with the rubber acting as mid layer for cushioning and a wooden core layer for strength. My shoes welt had issues (too many resole jobs) and hence stitching had to be slightly away from outer edge. Can see the extra channel that cobbler had to abandon when he realised this issue. I was told before they did it so the communication process was 100%.

jgl, Elegiaque and Drunken Master like this.

And here are the finished soles. Fantastic finish that they added to the bottoms to really bring out the patina in the leather. Smells and feels fantastic! The stiches are very even and smooth, flushed to the surface. The stiff leather soles also pulled the leather uppers back to the original shape, reducing the appearance of the creases on the uppers.

jgl, shri, Drunken Master and 1 others like this.

So you are only going to wear this shoes indoors on carpet right?

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    So you are only going to wear this shoes indoors on carpet right?
    What made you think that? I intend to wear this fave pair of shoes everywhere, even in the rain. I'm pretty sure this is the last time I will ever re-sole these. Once they wear out, its into the bin. Hopefully, I will have at least 4 more years of regular wear out of them.

Can they do Birkenstocks? Hiking shoes? Any idea of cost for resole for either?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal
    Can they do Birkenstocks? Hiking shoes? Any idea of cost for resole for either?
    I resolved hiking shoes there for $500-600, but I kind of regret this.

Wore them in the rain this week. Two really nitpicky point - the "JR" logo is not dead centre. What they should have done was line up the piece of leather so that the logo is centred before gluing and then stitching. The second is a possible improvement by embossing a pattern around the edge like on this pair of resoled Churchs.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7