Like Tree109Likes

Why do people come to HK for shopping?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Why do people come to HK for shopping?

It's terribly expensive!
    or do I go to the wrong shops?
    my old Levi's is worn through and I went to time square to get a new one today: 1200HKD.
    thats 2x the price of Europe and 4 times the price of the U.S.
    same with trainers and other clothing.

am I doing it wrong or is it like that?

Open Casket, Londrino and cjt like this.

Europeans and North Americans generally don't come to Hong Kong to shop, at least not for the past 20 years. Mainland Chinese come to Hong Kong to shop because the products they want to buy are either cheaper, or less likely to be fake, than the products on the mainland.

bookblogger, Cho-man and shri like this.

Clothes in Europe are cheaper and that's across the board from generic brands to more established. I've found that HK is slow to match Europe on electrical items too. For example a men's shaver from Braun was 2kk (Europe) versus 3k (HK) on average when I checked.

Last edited by Thensome; 16-10-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Yeah probably. As a new HKer it's the only place I could find where they sell Levi's.
    where is a better place?

China has hefty import tax for foreign name brands, no? Hence it is cheaper for them here for their sad love obsession with brand names. As far as other products are concerned, they have more faith in the safety of the HK products, like cosmetics and milk powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Thensome:
    Clothes in Europe are cheaper and that's across the board from generic brands to more established. I've found that HK is slow to match Europe on electrical items too. For example a men's shaver from Braun was 2kk (Europe) versus 3k (HK) on average when I checked.
    Did you check the price on price com hk or fortress and boardway, who are never cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Thensome:
    For example a men's shaver from Braun was 2kk (Europe) versus 3k (HK) on average when I checked.
    Even in Broadway etc. you can ask for a better price, and almost always you get a better price!

Talking about Braun shavers, I was in Broadway and just wanted to check the price, no buy intention. My target model was on offer that week, so prices was a bit lower then in EU. Then the girl ask my how I pay - cash - well she said, they have special promotion if you have a HSCB card (I do!). There there was a free gift.... So in the end it was way cheaper then in EU.

And sure, price.com.hk is a cool site.

Why do your jeans need to be Levis? Take a pair to Shenzhen and get a tailor to make them for you and you'd get exactly the same for a fraction of the price. That's now to save money on clothes here. I never buy clothes in shops here in HK (other than Marks and Spencer) - either buy overseas or get them made.

Cho-man likes this.

Yep checked price.com.hk

I'm after the series seven and can't see anyone bettering 1,850 Hkd

Agreed on getting clothes made especially shirts if you have to wear them for work

Nep likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast