Like Tree23Likes

EXPANSYS are you kidding me???

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Don't worry, that was completely understandable

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    Don't worry, that was completely understandable
    send me by Private message some of these sites so I can have a snoop around, hopes it has English
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Shri's message to the inside resulted in two annonymous users posting positive experienced following a complaint.

A bit suspicious considering anytime someone posts on here they typically get slammed.
    TB has a point- he's a bit blunt, but I've got to agree with him. Both accounts are clearly not shills (Z has been around since 2006 it is stated right under his username).

I've only ordered from Expansys a couple of times (both times with a credit card, off memory), but they seemed generally more competent than most stores in HK. Hopefully mrgoodkat's experience is due to an isolated muppet at Expansys instead of something more widespread.
    Last edited by jgl; 20-11-2015 at 11:04 AM.

I have no connection with Expansys, and nothing to gain from saying something nice about them. Or any other commercial firm.

I wrote in because it's so rare in HK to see an electronics shop act in the customer's best interest when things go wrong with stuff I've bought, that I think they deserve a second chance. To take a step back, I'm very glad Shri raised the issue with their customer service team, because I want them to keep up their service standards.

They will also let you pick up in store (office)

As a reader (rather than a viewer) on my mobile device the below looks interesting at HK$3,488

As I see it for current affairs media

You read the news
    View entertainment (inc TV news)
    Gawp at social media...

Last edited by East_coast; 20-11-2015 at 08:45 PM.

That's the one

In all fairness, it's not uncommon for business to ask for proof of address, I have seen some even ask for photo ID, you holding it in a mirror and take a selfie, it goes on. There was one site that struck a huge red flag for me was when they asked me for a letter stating that I am who I said I am, reside at this address and a signature, that raised a huge red flag for me and after doing some checks, found out they are actually located in China but they claim they are a US based company.

Another example is my first order with sideshowcollectibles.com, they actually asked for my ID, Passport and proof of address, both utility and bank/tax/insurance or something, after a long back and forth email thread, I sent it to them and they have never asked for it again now that they have me on file. Square Enix also asked me for ID, Passport and proof of address, they wasn't the only one..

In this day and age where online fraud is running amok, legitimate SOHO or even large companies have no choice but to protect themselves using this method, sure it's a PITA for the buyer (us), but its a one time process and if you plan on being a returning customer.

Us being customers must also educate ourselves in how to properly shop online.

First time buying, check the domain whois against the address claimed, if it's a US based company but the domain is registered to China, it can be a red flag. Avoid using your credit card on unknown sites, use a paypal account preferably with no credit card attached, deposit only what you need to make the purchase, sure this takes a few days but at least its a piece of mind. I only use my CC info on reputable sites and I always check the link against the SSL and certificate to make sure it is registered to the said domain, on top of that I have asked my bank to issue me a card with no more then $10K HKD on it which they were happy to oblige.

It may be a nuisance but they are doing it to protect both themselves and you as a customer, as a de-frauded paypal user myself, I'm sometimes glad they go the extra mile, some companies don't care as long as they get paid.

Be careful and Happy Shopping this Christmas

wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    They will also let you pick up in store (office)

As a reader (rather than a viewer) on my mobile device the below looks interesting at HK$3,488

As I see it for current affairs media

You read the news
    View entertainment (inc TV news)
    Gawp at social media...
    Oh no.... now I want one! Why did you have to show me this
    shri, East_coast and spode like this.

I also had this happen to me when I bought my Windows Phone with them two years ago. I took a picture of my bank statement, redacted all the numbers out and left my name and address. They accepted it and I didn't have any other issues with my order.

That being said, I don't see any reason to purchase from Expansys especially in Hong Kong. Cell phone stores are as common as 7-Eleven in some areas when you consider places like Golden Computer Center in SSP. If you want to purchase in Hong Kong without getting scammed, try price.com.hk and look up whatever you need and it'll show sellers, their price, and whether if it's grey market or official stock. You can call the sellers ahead of time to confirm the price and then visit them in person. The site also has an English version in beta so that's something.

As an alternative, consider using a low-priced Chinese Android phone like the Xiaomi. My Xiaomi Note 4G is the best phone I've ever used considering it cost only $1400 HKD. The screen is massive and the high capacity battery is replaceable, which means that you can just carry another battery instead of carrying a portable charger. It's also got a very accurate GPS and it even works in very dense areas such as Mongkok. The only downside is that you can't install apps to the expandable memory slot without rooting, but I don't use that many apps anyway.

Last edited by rickyross; 21-11-2015 at 02:06 AM.