Bagel

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bread with a hole, well said for HK Bagel......

Am I missed the freshly baked Montreal style bagel back in Montreal........

You know what I miss most from Montreal?
    Schwartz!!!

I had 6 bagels from Queens a couple weeks ago, but they're long gone. Two onion, two garlic and two plain. I got a good bagel fix, but now I need some real pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by dtb:
    Bread with a hole, well said for HK Bagel......

Am I missed the freshly baked Montreal style bagel back in Montreal........
    Never had better ones than in Montreal

Has anyone tried Duke's Deli on Queensroad Central? Took a quick look-see the other day and it looks like a sterilized NY Deli. However, they had slices for sale and bagels on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by quinnfaraway:
    Has anyone tried Duke's Deli on Queensroad Central? Took a quick look-see the other day and it looks like a sterilized NY Deli. However, they had slices for sale and bagels on the menu.
    No, but I've been meaning to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    You know what I miss most from Montreal?
    Schwartz!!!
    Schwartz is definitely on my list....gimme a small plate medium now and I will give you anything.

Yup that's a bit of Montreal...smoked meat on pizza, on spaghetti, on rye... How about a real St Viateur or Fairmount bagel with a little Schwartz on it...

I go to Duke's about once a week, and I like it. It's not the cheapest place to eat, but there's a good choice, the food is pretty decent, and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Hi all,

If any of you are adventurous in the kitchen, I have a great bagel recipe. I got fed up with the sugary, boring bagels in Asia.

Homemade Bagels

These home-baked bagels are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and great with cream cheese or butter!
    Preparation Time: 30 minutes + 60 minutes rising time
    Cooking Time: 35 minutes
    Yield: 8-12 bagels

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups warm water (112-115 degrees F)
    2 tablespoons dry yeast
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon salt
    4 1/4 cups bread flour
    8 cups of water, for boiling
    1 egg white, lightly beaten
    1 tablespoon water

Additionally, you can add one of the following (or be creative and come up with your own delicious addition to the recipe!):
    Cinnamon and/or raisins
    poppy seeds
    onions or garlic
    sesame seeds

Instructions:

1. In a small bowl, mix yeast, sugar and warm water together and let stand 3 minutes.

2. Mix 2 cups of flour with the salt in a large bowl; then add the yeast mixture. Stir until combined and slowly mix in the rest of the flour.

3. Knead dough on a floured surface for 5 minutes, adding additional flour if necessary. Dough should be fairly smooth and somewhat firm. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until double.

4. Punch dough down (if making cinnamon raisin bagels, add the cinnamon and raisins now -- knead just enough to swirl the cinnamon through the dough). Divide and shape into 12 balls. (For larger bagels, make only 8 balls.) Allow to rest for 5 minutes.

5. Bring 2 quarts of water to boil. Make a hole in each ball of dough and pull open about 2 inches, making a bagel shape. Place the shaped dough onto a cookie sheet and cover for 10 minutes.

6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop 2 or 3 bagels at a time into the boiling water for about 45 seconds, turning each once.

7. Drain cooked bagels on a wire rack. Mix egg white and water; brush tops with egg white mixture and top with optional toppings, if using. Place bagels on greased baking sheets.

8. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, turning once half-way through baking. (If making plain bagels, you can flip the bagels; otherwise, just rotate.) Bagels will be lightly browned and shiny.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Cheers,

Kim

P.S No, I do not take orders! (Unless you're my hubby!)

Last edited by melbourne_kim; 21-11-2008 at 11:13 AM.