Like Tree69Likes

Is it just me, or has Hong Kong become one of the most expensive places in the world to shop ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Is it just me, or has Hong Kong become one of the most expensive places in the world to shop ?

Was just going through the Presidents Day Sale Catalogue of Walmart as my wife and children are in the USA over CNY and man oh man, arent we just savaged on price over here !!! I mean WOW it really is something to get your head around how incredibly inflated prices are over here in Hong Kong. And then there is the range, quite nice walking into a Walmart and having everything you want all logically laid out under the one roof and sold for amazingly low prices.

I was also comparing the prices of a new Home Theatre grade 3D projector as I am upgrading my existing 2d model which I have been very happy with for the past 7 years and it's 50% cheaper to buy the new one in Australia !!!!! than it is to buy it in Hong Kong ! WOW now that really is something. You know, because Hong Kong is just so competitive, errr NO IT'S NOT !

I had the same experience with buying some electronic diagnostic gear recently, 50% ( $300US cheaper ) in the USA than in HK, that's even if you can find this sort of thing in Hong Kong without it being such a laborious task that it would give a Panadol a headache.

I think Hong Kong has very much had its day.

Last edited by Skyhook; 07-02-2016 at 11:41 AM.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

HK is really really not a shoppers paradise, unless you come from some other Asian economy which has either import restrictions or high taxes on retail.

Add to that the horrible retail experience has turned me into an online shopper for most things from cookies to clothes to shoes to random geek gadgets etc. Even T-mall (taobao's branded platform) offers a better price / selection experience than HK brick / mortar or local online.

And I HATE HATE HATE having to compete with mainlanders for attention in retail outlets - had to wait 10 mins yesterday for someone to even pay attention to me in Fortress (Central) yesterday as the clown was busy demonstrating some shit to some mainlanders. I knew what I wanted, just needed him to show me the product so I could verify the model number / feature I wanted and was done in less then 2 mins.

For electronic diagnostics - did you try element 14 / rs online? Would be very curious to hear if they could beat amazon / overseas online prices.

Fuck local retail / F&B .. they need to be put through a SARS like humbling experience again.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

Fuck local retail / F&B .. they need to be put through a SARS like humbling experience again.
    Well, you might get your "wish" as the drop off in mainland tourists are now forcing the retailers in HK to change to survive, for some of them anyway.

But is HK shopping really so terrible? Not really, when it comes to everyday goods. If you want something more specialized, yes you may well have to order on-line. But some everyday items really is not so dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    HK is really really not a shoppers paradise, unless you come from some other Asian economy which has either import restrictions or high taxes on retail.

Add to that the horrible retail experience has turned me into an online shopper for most things from cookies to clothes to shoes to random geek gadgets etc. Even T-mall (taobao's branded platform) offers a better price / selection experience than HK brick / mortar or local online.

And I HATE HATE HATE having to compete with mainlanders for attention in retail outlets - had to wait 10 mins yesterday for someone to even pay attention to me in Fortress (Central) yesterday as the clown was busy demonstrating some shit to some mainlanders. I knew what I wanted, just needed him to show me the product so I could verify the model number / feature I wanted and was done in less then 2 mins.

For electronic diagnostics - did you try element 14 / rs online? Would be very curious to hear if they could beat amazon / overseas online prices.

I hear ya man, and like you I have started buying items online, too, because it is just so painless. I have dealt with RS before but find them pretty pricey, and only use them for emergencies when we need something urgently.

I ended up buying my diagnostic from Amazon ( which is AWESOME ) because they had a much more comprehensive model going for a too good to refuse price, so I pulled the trigger and had the item sent to the JW Marriot where my wife and kids will be staying on the 12th of Feb.
    I love it !

@Cho-man Is HK that terrible, you bet it is ! I have to keep reminding myself that it is the 21st century that we are supposedly living out here, because elsewhere really has improved incredibly ie become A LOT more competitive. Hong Kong seems to suffer a very overt/stubborn, feudal tunnel vision.

Even the UK is cheaper than HK these days.

Skyhook, Mrs. Jones, shri and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I love it !

@Cho-man Is HK that terrible, you bet it is ! I have to keep reminding myself that it is the 21st century that we are supposedly living out here, because elsewhere really has improved incredibly ie become A LOT more competitive. Hong Kong seems to suffer a very overt/stubborn, feudal tunnel vision.
    Really? I doubt it. I've been to London quite recently, and eating out there at a restaurant does cost a heck more than one in HK. Same for clothes and buying many daily essentials.

HK is not a shopping paradise, I agree. But a shopping hell? Clearly you haven't been to the mainland...

And if you really think HK is such a terrible place, there is nothing that prevents you from leaving...
    Last edited by Cho-man; 07-02-2016 at 03:25 PM.

The three main drivers for high retail prices in Hong Kong

1) Import duties and VAT in China sets a positive bias for the 40,000,000 visitors who come shopping looking for bargins
    2) Indirect sales tax via high land tax on commercial properties with artificial restrictions on new developments
    3) Pro-property cartel policies such as ever larger development sites

None of these are going to change under the current administration.

jimbo likes this.

Online shopping is fast and shipping mainly inexpensive. Can't remember the last time I actually shopped here. Not worth the hassle.

Mrs. Jones and SamSeborn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Online shopping is fast and shipping mainly inexpensive. Can't remember the last time I actually shopped here. Not worth the hassle.
    Are you serious? I could imagine the hassle of ordering everything online and wait for the delivery when I could just take a 5 mins walk to my neighbourhood's manning and buy what I need. The delivery fee alone will outweigh the cost savings for many everyday items.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 07-02-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Anyone who thinks HK is not bad for shopping needs to get out of the place a bit more. HK has stood still while the rest of the world has moved on.

East_coast, TheBrit and Mrs. Jones like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast