Like Tree6Likes

Where to buy a waterproof jacket that doesn't cost 1500hkd

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to buy a waterproof jacket that doesn't cost 1500hkd

This has been more difficult than I had thought. All the sporting goods stores as well as department stores like sogo, wing on etc., have the same Columbia, North Face, Jack Wolfskin and a few other outdoor brands all selling different versions of the same rainwear with fancy names for between 1200-1900hkd. Some on sale are around 900-1000 which is still more than I would like to spend on a simple waterproof jacket.

Specifically, I am looking for something light that could be worn in the type of weather we have been having lately. Something light and breatheable I can use around town or pack with me during light hikes.

For "What to Buy."
    The Best Everyday Rain Jacket | The Wirecutter

For "Where to Buy."
    Sierra Trading Post - We Are All Explorers.
    They ship to HKG. Look for something like the Marmot Precip jacket, often under $90US.

And of course, Amazon.com. Shri has a thread about free shipping to HKG for a limited time IIRC.

If you wanted to go the HKG brick 'n mortar store route, try some of the export quality clothing shops west of The Pawn in Wan Chai on Johnston St. They have some jackets that fit your needs and budget. Some with name brands and iffy origins (possibly knock-offs) and some no-name brands that will never the less keep you dry.

To add to East Coast's suggestion, stanley has an outlet run by "Sun and Moon" (they're all over town) and I've seen some nice rain / snow jackets there for $200-400.

SUN & MOON, 340 QUEENS ROAD CENTRAL (adult & children’s casual fashion) SUN & MOON, 62 JARDINE’S BAZAAR, CAUSEWAY BAY (adult & children’s casual fashion)
    SUN & MOON, 19 CARNAVERON ROAD, TSIM SHA TSUI (adult & children’s casual fashion)
    SUN & MOON, 18 STANLEY MAIN STREET (STANLEY MARKET) (adult & children’s casual fashion)
    SUN & MOON, 52 STANLEY MAIN STREET (STANLEY MARKET) (adult & children’s casual fashion)
    SUN OUTLET, 6 LI YUEN STREET EAST, CENTRAL (discount designer fashion)
    Taken from: OUTLET & FACTORY SHOPS - HONG KONG EXTRAS3

Decathlon should also have some decent stuff.

Decathlon | Buy Sports Goods Online in Hong Kong
    huja likes this.

You can find Amazon's global shipping page here - orders over US$ 150 for clothing / footwear etc get shipped for free, so not too bad a deal, but keep in mind there is a minimum order requirement.

http://amzn.to/26sFF8F

Go to the HK Decathlon website. You can order online, they have good quality waterproof jackets from $235 up.

They deliver free if the order is above $499 HKD.

Hiking Jacket and Pant - TEXTILE - HIKING/CAMPING - Sports

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    To add to East Coast's suggestion, stanley has an outlet run by "Sun and Moon" (they're all over town) and I've seen some nice rain / snow jackets there for $200-400.

Taken from: OUTLET & FACTORY SHOPS - HONG KONG EXTRAS3

Decathlon should also have some decent stuff.

Decathlon | Buy Sports Goods Online in Hong Kong
    I discovered Decathlon while living in Shenzhen and found their store brand products to be of decent quality and excellent value.

I buy everything from Decathalon. They deliver within 2-3 days.

For hiking in Hong Kong from now until about January no need for a coat. Nasty. Get an umbrella.

civil_servant likes this.

Thanks all. I'll try some of those places this week. I usually stay away from online retailers when it comes to clothing items, since I prefer trying them out first but I might try those suggestions if I can't find any here.

I've been to a few around SSP that sell generic stuff but haven't had a look recently. It's good to know there are a few more around HK side.

For hiking in Hong Kong from now until about January no need for a coat. Nasty. Get an umbrella.
    After my umbrella broke from getting snagged on some trees, I did buy a nice lightweight and packable windbreaker earlier this year, which proved to be useless to me after I found out first hand water-resistant was not the same as water proof. I really don't get what use these things are, they keep the wind from cooling my body but as soon as there is any sweat or moisture it sticks to my arms and becomes uncomfortable to wear
    Last edited by -1983-; 27-04-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast