Like Tree4Likes

Aug 2016 - Shenzhen tailor and fabric recommendations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aug 2016 - Shenzhen tailor and fabric recommendations

Hi all - I've pored through these forum pages a good bit, and all the recommendations for tailors / fabric come from many years ago. I'm planning a day trip with a friend to Shenzhen this Monday, and was wondering if anyone can recommend good and well-priced tailors we can visit in Lo Wu. I'm looking to make some skirts, dresses, and pants, so any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

I'm planning to bring along one or two dresses I'd like copied, but I would ideally love a tailor who could make a dress for me from (detailed) photos too. My friend is fluent in Mandarin and speaks the language of sewing, if that helps at all.

Tangentially, if anyone has good fabric stores to recommend, that'd be great - but most interested at the moment in tailors.

Although I sew myself, when I had an injury back three years ago, I decided to use a tailor in Shenzhen, and was disappointed. They are seamstresses not tailors. For fabrics, head on over to Shaibu rather than Lo Wu. Or in HK, why not go to the Hawker's Bazaar in Sham Shui Po, also Ki Lung Street markets for fabric. You are less likely to be hassled or ripped off. Some of the stores have seamstresses or tailors to make up things for you and you will not have to travel to Shenzhen. If you friend is a Mandarin speaker, then head to Shaibu in shenzhen. Cheaper fabrics. No one speaks English but with a Mandarin speaker you are less likely to be ripped off.

chingleutsch likes this.

Asked a friend who's been making clothes regularly and she recommend Stephanie at Lark.

Friends and I have used her years ago and most of the items came out well.

Shenzhen Tailor|Lark International Apparel Ltd.| Stephanie Tailor| Custom Shirts, Custom made Clothes

If you don't want to traipse all the way to Shenzhen you could find a tailor in Hong Kong.

I have used Mr Wang 8F Mirador Mansions Tel: 9453 1213 Not the largest of workshops

Very little English but proper french seams and easier to go for a fitting.

He will copy and modify existing dresses, blouses or make from scratch if you have a picture.

Fabric markets in Hong Kong are much easier to deal with also.

Given the humid weather I would suggest you look to get nice pure cotton shirting for pockets and real Bemberg from Japan if something needs a lining.

https://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/fibers...ifference.html

Last edited by East_coast; 12-08-2016 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit
    Although I sew myself

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Home sewing is not illegal otherwise there would not be patterns and machines available to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit
    Home sewing is not illegal.
    For some it should be. Anyway the image is just a parody of

shri likes this.

Natfixit I'm just beginning to sew myself! I did end up doing most shopping in Lo Wu, but will check out Shaibu on my next trip. I am curious to go to SSP and Ki Lung now to compare prices - I haggled a decent amount in Lo Wu and liked the prices of the fabrics I bought, but would like to see how HK does as a comparison. Thanks for the information!

Natfixit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rani
    Asked a friend who's been making clothes regularly and she recommend Stephanie at Lark.

Friends and I have used her years ago and most of the items came out well.

Shenzhen Tailor|Lark International Apparel Ltd.| Stephanie Tailor| Custom Shirts, Custom made Clothes
    She is one of the tailors I went to! I went to two different tailors and gave them the same dress to make with similar fabrics; hoping that at least one of them will work out well and be my regular. She seems to be highly recommended on Tripadvisor too so I'm optimistic Thanks for sharing!
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    If you don't want to traipse all the way to Shenzhen you could find a tailor in Hong Kong.

I have used Mr Wang 8F Mirador Mansions Tel: 9453 1213 Not the largest of workshops

Very little English but proper french seams and easier to go for a fitting.

He will copy and modify existing dresses, blouses or make from scratch if you have a picture.
    So true about the humidity, sigh. I will check out Mr Wang in Mirador; I'm heading that way today actually so it might just be perfect timing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast