Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MandM!

Where to buy a mainland power adapter?

Closed Thread

Where to buy a mainland power adapter?

I'm going to Shenzhen in a couple of weeks and want to buy a power adapter before I go. Where would I be able to find one that works in mainland China power outlets? Preferably a retail store and not a street stall. My devices have US plugs by the way.

Thanks

park n shop or welcome also sell em

something like thisName:  China power adaptor.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  44.2 KB

Last edited by chuckster007; 02-11-2016 at 10:49 PM.

US plug and 220V works fine in China.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    park n shop or welcome also sell em
    I went to Wellcome and they had one, but it was just a HK to China adapter (not universal to China adapter). However I already have a US to HK adapter, so would it work to jerry rig it (US to HK adapter to China adapter)? It won't fry my electronics, right lol? (see the pic in the attachment)

I think you will need 2-3 different ones or an all in one, there is no one standard

Hotel have usually both, the China V shaped type and the US type. If you have US plugs you are fine.

I just took a closer look at the back of the pack, and it says "never use with other adapters". Well that stinks lol. I have a HK cell phone charger so at least I can charge my phone with it in China. But looks like I need to do some more searching for a universal to China power adapter... I'll try park n shop tomorrow.

Also I'll be staying in an apartment so I really do need a proper adapter

Most apartments that I have been to have universal sockets direct at the wall.

But I also use a power adapter that plugs into any socket and accepts any plug plus it has two USB ports. You can find these just about anywhere, duty free shops on crossing the border or at the airport too.

I think I bought this one on a plane from their duty free catalog. It was something like Hk$50.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Wan Chai Computer Centre

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:

I think I bought this one on a plane from their duty free catalog. It was something like Hk$50.

In case you don't want to leave it until you're on the plane, I bought an adapter exactly like the one above at the Wan Chai Computer Centre (up the escalator, to the left of Exit A5) I've also seen them in various electronic stores dotted around Hong Kong - hope that helps