Visiting HK and buying an Iphone (SE 64 Gb)

Closed Thread

Visiting HK and buying an Iphone (SE 64 Gb)

I will be in HK next week and want to look at the options to buy a new fully unlocked Iphone SE 64Gb (therefore not a new short supply model).

First question is what unlocked means on Iphones sold in HK. Here in the UK, there are only a relatively few suppliers (inc the Apple store) which sell Iphones which are truly unlocked. Many brand new 'unlocked' Iphones sold in the UK by authorised resellers are unlocked, but then automatically lock themselves to the network of the 1st SIM put into the phone and can then only be unlocked by that network. Is that how things work in HK, and if so, are there places other than the Apple store which sell truly unlocked phones ?

Should I expect to haggle, or are there pretty much fixed prices for new Iphones ? I assume some discount is available, but can anyone give me a clue as to the level and where I should be looking to be sure of not being ripped off with fakes, scams etc. ?

Quote Originally Posted by FF101:
    I will be in HK next week and want to look at the options to buy a new fully unlocked Iphone SE 64Gb (therefore not a new short supply model).

First question is what unlocked means on Iphones sold in HK. Here in the UK, there are only a relatively few suppliers (inc the Apple store) which sell Iphones which are truly unlocked. Many brand new 'unlocked' Iphones sold in the UK by authorised resellers are unlocked, but then automatically lock themselves to the network of the 1st SIM put into the phone and can then only be unlocked by that network. Is that how things work in HK, and if so, are there places other than the Apple store which sell truly unlocked phones ?

Should I expect to haggle, or are there pretty much fixed prices for new Iphones ? I assume some discount is available, but can anyone give me a clue as to the level and where I should be looking to be sure of not being ripped off with fakes, scams etc. ?
    ask the bbc facebook forums (iphone were popular imports from HK, but the exchange rate makes it not worth it nowadays) , i know that many iphone 5 and 6/6s user from HK, don't have issues with locked iphones when they go to UK, thus, truly unlocked

iphones are fixed price in HK ( others phones are discounted), unless you go to a dodgy dealer