Like Tree48Likes

You're being scammed: Watch your receipts at Fusion/ParknShop

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I've had that discrepancy once in Wellcome. They just told me the label on the shelf was incorrect, so just take it at the price on the counter.

Totally illegal, of course, but I was in no position to argue since none of the staff could speak English well and I have no Canto.

The best I had was in Wellcome 24 hr in Causeway Bay.

"Excuse me, I think that $400 for one piece of ginger is incorrect."
    "No"
    "Please check"
    "No"

Call over the manager and show the till receipt. Then follows a 2/3 minute discussion between the teller and manager.
    Finally " The price is incorrect, we will reverse it"

Beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Beat that!
    Not a beating experience but just as stupid.

At PNS bought a few things like less than 10 items and one of the items I bought was 1 dozen of eggs, dosy checkout girl rings in 15 dozen + the 9 other items so in total the bill came to like nearly $600 and she calmly asked me for my money, I handed over my CC then it hit me WTF, $600 for 10 items.

I was actually shocked for a few seconds and asked her to show me the bill and then had to tell her the total was wrong, the eggs showed what was supposed to be $26.90 as $403.50, she re-looked and said oh i entered too many dozens.

She calmly corrects it with no apology at all and takes my correct money DOH

its always an adventure with PNS, at least they have been fined HK$4000 by the customs dept LOL

Hong Kong ParknShop store fined for overcharging Customs officers HK$24 for nuts | South China Morning Post
    Elegiaque likes this.

I agree it's a problem but don't see it changing. Happens to me most times I buy something on offer. Even when you buy a reduced item you need to make sure they actually input it. The big yellow sticker ain't enough of a clue for some people.

When there are only really 2 companies controlling almost all the supermarkets, and they're already full, there's not much incentive to do anything much except be roughly equally as shit and overpriced as the single rival.

On a positive note I've noticed a few vanguard shops are selling Tescos stuff from the UK at surprisingly good value. Muesli for $15, lasagne sheets for $13, even a big tub of Greek Yoghurt for $30 which by HK standards is cheap.

coffee_break, spode and BCD like this.

Reminds me of a funny thing that happened a few years ago. My mother in law saw Tropicana on special offer. She knew it was good quality but being careful as she is, she opened the lid to check the seal was still intact (the plastic seal beneath the lid that you need to pull off when you open a bottle of juice.)

To her disgust the first bottle didn't even have a seal so she opened another. The same again! After opening a few large bottles of Tropicana she left and didn't buy any.

Upon telling me the story it dawned on me that the bottles had changed their mechanism and now the actual bottle lid formed the seal which was broken when you twisted it off. So congratulations to my mother in law for ruining a nice batch of Tropicana

I have more of an issue with the QUALITY of the product on offer. Half the salads are rotten, same goes for half the veggies and fruits. That's the real scam in HK supermarkets.

I find that quite often I get something that's more expensive at the till. Luckily, when it comes to money, I have an elephant's memory - so I usually (I hope) catch it. TBF, they always refund/ give me the difference.

I have, occasionally, also got a cheaper price at the till than was on the label.

I do miss supermarkets back home though. Lots more choice, a lot healthier and a hell of a lot cheaper. That's competition for you though... I guess!

Skyhook likes this.

I do check the receipt each time. I find an error roughly 1/4-1/3 of the time. With one exception, every error was in the favor of the store.

Called P&Rob in my home.
    Cyber port one is terrible for mis pricing. Baguio also.
    Receipts are very often wrong.
    I don't buy anything in a clamshell container as it's usually rotten and why so much packaging.
    I try to take as much of my business elsewhere.
    Wish there was a vanguard near me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    To think back home the a store supervisor can just upload the days point if sale price changes and then just press send, changing all prices in the store at once. It's been awhile since I have seen manual paper signed shelf pricing back home. Europe and the USA, uses full electronic shelf pricing systems. Which makes life easy for everyone, especially the consumer.

Unless youre a tiny mum and pop store, the rest have embraced the 21st century, but even then I've seen smaller shops adopt lcd wireless shelf price displays as part of a POS system.

Hong Kong loves being stuck in the 1950s in many regards, be it retail, government, education and not in good ways.
    Fusion in DB had the perfect opportunity to do this recently when they totally revamped the store. Since the revamp it's even worse with the wrong labels everywhere. You actually have to read the labels to match up with the product, to avoid any nasty surprises at the till.
    Skyhook likes this.