Like Tree48Likes

You're being scammed: Watch your receipts at Fusion/ParknShop

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

You're being scammed: Watch your receipts at Fusion/ParknShop

How often do you go shopping at Fusion/ParknShop and not find a mistake on the receipt? And how often -- if ever -- is it in YOUR favor?

Honestly, I'm pretty sure almost every time (maybe 4/5 times) there is a discrepancy between the prices I saw advertised and the price a product rang up as or some other kind of error. As much as keeping even a few dollars from a Li Ka Shing business is important to me, I don't think I have the time to keep track of all of these mistakes to report them. Would be good to have some sort of app or website to quickly post these things (*cough* @shri). Today, again a mistake of $16 difference.

But in any case, am I the only one who always takes a minute after shopping to check the receipt? Is it just poorly paid, unhappy workers who are (very) careless? More so than other supermarket workers in other parts of the world? Seems almost criminal how bad they are.

How do you keep track of the prices on the shelf label and the final receipt price? If I'm in only for a few things maybe but I tend to spend around 1k each time.

The most I've found (bearing in mind it's a big shopping spree) is ignoring the bogof or discounting for multiples of the same item not being properly rung up.

shri likes this.

Yes, you're right jrkob, the staff generally do try to point out if there's some buy one get one free promotion. But the mistakes I'm coming across nearly every time are inexcusable. It tends to be with a product being shelved under the wrong label. OR sometimes the label really is right and the cash register just isn't matching, which is really worrisome!

Original Post Deleted
    Those ladies in MarketPlace in GC are lovely.

Mostly i never even look at prices when i pick stuff in the supermarket anyway so I wouldn't know (or care) if the price was wrong!

Original Post Deleted
    For a minute I blanked on the Park-n Shop in Gold Coast. I remember which one you mean now. They seemed very friendly the one time we went in there. I always forget it exists! It;s very small though isn't it? Does it have good stocks of Western stuff like Market Place?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    How do you keep track of the prices on the shelf label and the final receipt price? If I'm in only for a few things maybe but I tend to spend around 1k each time.

The most I've found (bearing in mind it's a big shopping spree) is ignoring the bogof or discounting for multiples of the same item not being properly rung up.
    I have a quick look at the prices of things I get (must be somewhat systematic) and of course I'm always keeping an eye out for an offer, or if there is an offer on one item, I'll usually go for that brand/kind. Today I did that, and it rung up as $46, when I had in my mind that it was a "good price" at around $30. Then, I usually have some instinct when it seems the bill is a little higher than I expected.

The staff are plenty friendly and kind, but it seems like carelessness when arranging things on shelves and registering the prices/offers. I've been experiencing this at two different locations. Haven't noticed this scale of problems with Wellcome.

The staff, too, are always patient with giving me back money, so that's not a problem. But I do have the impression they're not always bothered to actually fix the problem when I draw it to their attention.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Yes, you're right jrkob, the staff generally do try to point out if there's some buy one get one free promotion. But the mistakes I'm coming across nearly every time are inexcusable. It tends to be with a product being shelved under the wrong label. OR sometimes the label really is right and the cash register just isn't matching, which is really worrisome!
    My understanding is the the cash registers are updated automatically (perhaps from head office?), while the labels have to be changed manually. As it takes time to change the labels, there will sometimes be discrepancies - and often they are not in the customer's favour as the customer buys a product as its on special offer, and the cash register does not show it.

However, whenever I do spot the error, I'm always given the 'correct price' as shown on the label. The label is then removed. I shop in a very different to others, but have the same positive feedback to the store staff in Park'n Shop.

Do I think it is Li Ka Shing and his empire out to scam me? No - at least not in this way. Rather the problem is caused by the low paid and over worked shop staff having to constantly update the labels on the shelves, and also the supermarket policy of appearing to have almost everything on some kind of special offer

Should there be a penalty for shows wrongly charging? Yes, it would help, if a customer could get a 'refund' of double or more for anything wrongly priced. But, this is Hong Kong ...
    shri likes this.

I also observe a high rate of mispricing at the sheung wan fusion. Mostly it's about offers/discounts not ringing up. It's so bad I now mentally prepare myself for having to watch the scanned prices and brace myself for having to argue. I make a mental note of the discounted items so I can catch the mistakes, but who knows how many other things get through, as I don't remember all the prices. I've learned the chocolate prices pretty well though

Really, there should be fines for this kind of thing.

Interestingly, I once got some 50% off clearance items, which happened to have an (unmarked) buy 1 get 1 free offer presumably dating from when they were undiscounted. Turns out the bogof discount was applied at the full price so got the items free! Tried it again the next day and it didn't work - I think it had to do with the order the cashiers rang things up as the clearance discount was applied manually...

Skyhook likes this.

Always, like any other business transaction ....

If they had to give the product to you for free if the price asked at the checkout was higher than what was advertised on the shelf, like is consumer law back home, then it would happen pretty rarely I reckon.

It's easy to tear up a law in this town like rent regs that existed prior to hand over, it's like building a pyramid to introduce new laws that didn't exist before.in this town

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast