Like Tree11Likes

Any local cheese?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any local cheese?

Does anyone know where I can get any good quality local cheese, if there is such a thing? I'm not a fan of the processed stuff in big supermarkets and feeling guilty buying overpriced stuff that's imported (especially the 'fresh' cheeses which I guess are no longer fresh) - used to get a whole selection of natural cream cheeses in the UK from farmers markets, but I can only seem to find Philadelphia etc. here

Is "Chinese cheese" a thing?!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

There are three dairy producers in Hong Kong and none make cheese. Perhaps you could look into making your own.

Quote Originally Posted by moomoo91:
    Does anyone know where I can get any good quality local cheese, if there is such a thing? I'm not a fan of the processed stuff in big supermarkets and feeling guilty buying overpriced stuff that's imported (especially the 'fresh' cheeses which I guess are no longer fresh) - used to get a whole selection of natural cream cheeses in the UK from farmers markets, but I can only seem to find Philadelphia etc. here
    I don't mean to make you feel stupid at all, but much of the world - particularly East Asia - does not consume dairy traditionally. Whenever expats come and moan about how hard it is to find fresh local milk and cheese I think - I bet the Chinese immigrants to your country can't figure out why there's only a few brands of soy milk
    rickyross and jimbo like this.

My first reaction to seeing the thread title was "Local domesticated cows? Goats? Sheep? or?"

Thumbs up

Thanks all - so the short answer as expected is no! dumbdonkey & claire ex-ax, will seek out that Rushan cheese and even see if I can make some of my own here!

Quote Originally Posted by moomoo91:
    and even see if I can make some of my own here!
    I bet you don't lol

Quite easy to make home made paneer.

megapsych likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Quite easy to make home made paneer.
    A good Cheddar is a bit more complex though.

Not really HK local, but there is cheese maker in Beijing:

http://www.lefromagerdepekin.com

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast