Like Tree3Likes

thermos recommendation?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

thermos recommendation?

Hey everyone.

I would like to get a thermos to transport soup to and from work. I would like one that seals well enough to be able to throw it in my bag and not have to worry about it leaking.

Anyone have a particular thermos you love? Reasonably-priced would also be good.

thermos. by definition really. they have a new shop in metroplaza; google for others.

jgl likes this.

thermos also have a shop in Plaza Hollywood, Diamond Hill.

Thanks for the replies!

While we're at it, thermos also has a store at Fu Tung Plaza next to Citygate in TC. If you have a Japanese supermarket or department store near you like Jusco, Yata or Sogo, there'll be a large selection of Japanese thermos' as well.

By far the oldest and most efficient 'thermos' bottle has a glass interior. Keeps liquids (whatever is inside) the warmest or coldest. But liable to breakage if you are careless. Nowadays most such 'thermos' bottles have a steel interior; no breakage but these lose temperature much faster.
    The glass ones, aka Dewar flasks, probably cost more. The brand 'THERMOS' is old and well known.

Name:  ThermosShootout.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  139.4 KB

Thermos Stainless King at the bottom left. 16oz (473ml) version shown but also available in 24oz (709ml) capacity

Exterior shell and interior are stainless steel. The less plastic, the better as plastic tends to absorb and retain odors even after a few washings. The Stainless King's steel interior lining along with the wide mouth makes for easy cleaning. Having a steel outside shell also holds up better in a dishwasher. Underneath the visible outer serving cup a inner knurled twist-cap has enough threads to prevent spillage. The cap also has a silicone gasket.

The blue Zojiroshi's outer plastic shell might have a dishwasher-safe claim, but years of scalding water is bearing signs of crazing at the surface. The BIG Zojiroshi on the right is only a multi-compartment (non liquid) food container, certainly nowhere robust enough to be banged around in a Hong Kong minibus excursion.
    chuckster007 and shri like this.

Great info. Appreciate it!

I thought I would update this thread based on my experience this lunch time. Googling this subject reminded me I had been meaning to update my thermos before a hiking trip this summer, so I searched around and discovered that the Ultimate MKII Flask is perfect for me. So I went into the Thermos Brand shop in Metroplaza and asked if they stocked it. Met with absolute confusion and zero English, I then googled it and showed them the name/photo. Complete nonplus. Pointed to the word "thermos" in the description and said yes. (i.e. they have thermos products - didn't appear to have any clue that they might have names!). Looked around. NO SIGNAGE at all. No product boxes, just flasks on the shelves with no price or description.

Gave up. Absolutely hopeless.

Then tried same on their website - again nothing although I think I found the equivalent.

So in the end I ordered the bloody thing off Amazon UK, cheaper than the (guessed) equivalent in HK price, including shipping.

Crazy. They are selling vacuum flasks ffs, not designer clothing.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast