Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flameproof

What's the deal with Taobao in Hong Kong?

What's the deal with Taobao in Hong Kong?

When I lived in Shanghai I used Taobao ALOT. Even though my Chinese wasn't great I was able to get by with google translate and a lil help from my friends. I rarely had any issues and I got a lot of great stuff.

So, I am wondering if it runs the same in Hong Kong or if there are extra steps for payment, shipping etc? I used my bank of China account via alipay back then - Do they accept HK banks or is it a credit card system?
    Are there taobao stores that don't ship to Hong Kong? Is it more expensive?

Thanks!

I use it a lot too. Just send everything to SF warehouse (Taobao cargo) in Shenzhen. You get 20 days free storage. Once all my shipments arrive I consolidate and ship out.

I use my HK credit card. You get charged 3%.

all answers you will find with a search here.

Yes it works. Yes most ship to HK, costs more though, hence many use a consolidator. I use Topexpress, but there are many others.
    @rani
    SF is the Rolls Royce of the transport companies. Work perfectly and fast, but are the most expensive too, not neckbreaking though. I don't use them because they refuse too many items. No such issue with Topexpress, they just give a duck what you ship. And it's next day delivery too if please order before 17:00

Just had 2Kg with them for RMB 23.00

@flameproof - I need to figure out TopExpress. I don't think they're listed as an official carrier.

How do you select them?

Also - speaking zero chinese. Is it possible to buy on Taobao and use Taobaoexpress?

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    @flameproof - I need to figure out TopExpress. I don't think they're listed as an official carrier.

How do you select them?
    Easy. You don't!

You simply add their delivery address (with your customer number) to your address list, and chose that as delivery address. I wrote that before:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/32/thread...ml#post3437697

Note: Topexpress has many delivery methods, I use ??? ????

Quote Originally Posted by john.doe1985:
    Also - speaking zero chinese. Is it possible to buy on Taobao and use Taobaoexpress?
    I don't speak much Chinese, use Taobao a lot, and don't know what's Taobaoexpress.
    Tengaar likes this.

@flameproof Thanks for the guide. I do remember reading it before and saying I need to try.

Have created my account and added the address to Taobao.

Will try and use it this week and see if it works.

Thx so much

@flameproof I did it! Sent all my stuff to TopExpress and shipped it to HK this week. Fairly straightforward and similar to MYUS etc where you have to give them a headsup that you're expecting a shipment and enter the tracking #. How many days storage do you get at TopE?

Thx again for the guide and tips.

I'm not sure how long they store it. Sometimes I leave it there for a week or so. Just had again a delivery today, even though I was over their 17:00 booking deadline by 30 Minutes yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I'm not sure how long they store it. Sometimes I leave it there for a week or so. Just had again a delivery today, even though I was over their 17:00 booking deadline by 30 Minutes yesterday.

I asked and they said free storage for 3 months. SF is 20 days