Like Tree33Likes

Looking for GENUINE 100% extra virgin olive oil

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    EVOO is a US terminology that stands for Extra Virgin Olive Oil

An Italian producer won't use that terminology: because they label in Italian.
    I can guarantee you (I have several relatives that produce olive oil) that any Italian Olive oil is better than the american crap.

Ardoino in particular is the one I always buy in Italy: they produce it right next to where my dad was born and I'm 110% confident on the quality and taste.

However is crazy expensive here, hence I go for anything that a) comes from Italy b) says "olio extra vergine d'oliva" that is EVOO. You can't write that if it's not true

I forgot to mention that EVOO should be consumed within 18 months of production
    Never had that problem, as an Italian a 1.5 lt bottle lasts me a couple of months max

Skyhook likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I can speak for Italy only: if it says "olio extra vergine d'oliva" it's EVOO.
    They usually emphasize by saying 100%, but it's exactly the same as it needs to be 100% to be EVOO.

For any means and purposes that is a good oil to buy. Maybe not the tastiest, but it's perfect for cooking and salads.

I buy Bertolli or Berio and I'm happy

Original Post Deleted
    everything will be in Italian

Anyways, based on experience they always write down 100% somewhere
    jrkob likes this.

Btw just in keep in mind that if it says Italian olive oil it doesn't mean that the oil comes from Italy.
    Italy and Spain are one of the biggest importers of olive oil from other countries in the Mediterranean (like Morocco) and they just bottle them and sell them as Italian or Spanish olive oil. This doesn't have to bad perse but worth noting.

Any recommendation for some extra virgin olive oil that smells/tastes good? I can't find any.. must have tried ten different supermarket brands...

Quote Originally Posted by bigcrown:
    Any recommendation for some extra virgin olive oil that smells/tastes good? I can't find any.. must have tried ten different supermarket brands...
    If you had a brand you liked back home, then just import that Clearly you have a perception of what you are looking for and it might just be faster not to change!

Quote Originally Posted by Vix85:
    I forgot to mention that EVOO should be consumed within 18 months of production
    Never had that problem, as an Italian a 1.5 lt bottle lasts me a couple of months max
    That's true, as olive oils fester over a set period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    OK - so the bottle of Olive Oil I have been using, sat in the kitchen, for the last 5 years might be out of date then. Oh well, what a pity, never mind.
    You will know from the taste when it is bad. I keep mine in the fridge for years without problem.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz:
    Where do you buy Ghee in HK? I keep hearing about it but I don't think I've ever noticed it in the supermarket.
    The Indian Provision Store in Causeway Bay wet market sells large tins of it. Top end Bowrington Road.