Like Tree20Likes

Why can't I buy one apple?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Classic thread. Starts off with a foreigner unable to buy a single apple. By page 2 we are into negative generalisations about an entire country.

East_coast, juanalias and wayland like this.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    Classic thread. Starts off with a foreigner unable to buy a single apple. By page 2 we are into a foreigners negative generalisations about an entire country.
    corrected it for you

I've always been able to get an apple at Welcome or Park n Shop.

Maybe at the market stalls, they sell them in certain numbers. If you buy an odd number, you throw them off and that means by the end of the day they have an odd number they can't sell together.

To the OP.. You need to chill the fuck out! If trivial things like this bother you enough to start a thread about it, then I fear how you would react when shit really hits the fan.

I recommend you try meditation and yoga. Might help.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I've always been able to get an apple at Welcome or Park n Shop.
    You can also get them as singles at many places on the street. Wetmarkets, the expensive fruit sellers ($20+ for apple guys) etc - never been an issue.
    Maybe at the market stalls, they sell them in certain numbers. If you buy an odd number, you throw them off and that means by the end of the day they have an odd number they can't sell together.
    Its usually the $10 for 3, sitting in a plastic basket ones that are inflexible. They dont want to get stuck with 2 in a basket when all their baskets are 3 in a basket. They are usually old, cranky and set in their ways and can be avoided by just getting a different product on a different shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    To the OP.. You need to chill the fuck out! If trivial things like this bother you enough to start a thread about it, then I fear how you would react when shit really hits the fan.
    She's been in Hong Kong for a couple of decades and her intolerance of trivial things is well known online and offline. I doubt she is capable of chilling when faced with the perceived injustices come along towards her direction.
    I recommend you try meditation and yoga. Might help.
    Highly, highly doubtful. You'd have to meet the person to realize the futility of that advice.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    corrected it for you
    Forgot the apostrophe, though.
    East_coast likes this.

I do agree that it is annoying.

As a single person, it's just too hard for me to buy bunches of fruit and vegetables. I remember trying to buy two bananas and the wet market lady wanted me to buy eight! No way I could eat all eight before they go brown. Same with vegetables. A lot of wet market stalls only want to sell a huge bag of bok choy which would take me at least a week to eat.

Every time I move to a new place and go to a new wet market, I just have to hunt around until I can find a vendor who will sell me the small amount I want, then I will always go back to that stall. I lived in one place for three years and always bought from the same people. They would complain about me buying just one tomato or a handful of bok choy, but at least they sold it to me! I never did find a good fruit stall at that place, so I ended up buying all my fruit in the supermarket. Now I have a fruit person to buy bananas from, but no nearby wet market. This is life.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverhobbes:
    I do agree that it is annoying.

As a single person, it's just too hard for me to buy bunches of fruit and vegetables. I remember trying to buy two bananas and the wet market lady wanted me to buy eight! No way I could eat all eight before they go brown. Same with vegetables. A lot of wet market stalls only want to sell a huge bag of bok choy which would take me at least a week to eat.

Every time I move to a new place and go to a new wet market, I just have to hunt around until I can find a vendor who will sell me the small amount I want, then I will always go back to that stall. I lived in one place for three years and always bought from the same people. They would complain about me buying just one tomato or a handful of bok choy, but at least they sold it to me! I never did find a good fruit stall at that place, so I ended up buying all my fruit in the supermarket. Now I have a fruit person to buy bananas from, but no nearby wet market. This is life.
    Same with me as I live on my own too. I often have other activities in the evenings, so its rare I get 2 nights in a row where i can cook.

That means when i buy a fish, that's all i eat for the meal. When i get lettuce or vegetables, i need to finish it off that day. I've even had 3 bananas for lunch before, and then had the other 3 bananas the next day just so i don't waste them, lol!

Bananas start going brown and mushy after a couple of days when its hot and humid. Lettuce also gets soggy and edges start browning even in the fridge.

I'm sure they are still edible after a few days, but i'd prefer not to because i wouldn't like the taste and texture. Its a small sacrifice to just eat it all at once.

However, for bread, i have left a loaf in the fridge for nearly 2 weeks and i didn't mind. It went a bit stale and hard, but i just imagined it was toast.