Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By PointingFinger

Classic HK movies on DVD

Closed Thread

Classic HK movies on DVD

Can anyone recommend a store for classic 70's HK movies on DVD? I've only been to HMV but their selection is not great.

There are a few used DVD stores around but you might need to do some digging/exploring of your neighborhood. In my own hood of Fortress Hill, there used to be a place that sold old DVDs, CDs, and even cassette tapes (inside the same building with the cat bookstore). Sadly, that place closed down a few years ago.

One of two places that I can think of right now that still exist is one inside a mall/shopping arcade called King's Park Lane at 278-288 King's Road, near Fortress Hill Road. You'll need to go inside and walk past various shops.

The other one is inside Oriental 188 in Wan Chai, a mall known for its video game stalls. But besides video games, there are a handful of movie places, with one full of used movies stacked from floor to ceiling.

I don't know where you are but if you know of any of these types of "maxi malls" in your area, I'd give them a try first. Good luck and hope you find what you're looking for.

level 3 of the Sino Centre in MK has a DVD/music store with lots of used local films. I think there's another one on floor 10 but not sure if their selection is as big.

There's also a small place in Shau Kei Wan in an alleyway between Shau Kei Wan Rd and Ngoi Man St that has a VAST selection of stuff. The front half is for rental but the back half of the store is sale stuff. Thousands and thousands of films...but I think they only open after 2pm.

jonastainine and HK2A430 like this.

Thanks. I'll try the one in Mongkok since I actually know where it is.

Google Play (HK) has quite a lot of classic HK movies.

Quote Originally Posted by PointingFinger:
    level 3 of the Sino Centre in MK has a DVD/music store with lots of used local films. I think there's another one on floor 10 but not sure if their selection is as big.

There's also a small place in Shau Kei Wan in an alleyway between Shau Kei Wan Rd and Ngoi Man St that has a VAST selection of stuff. The front half is for rental but the back half of the store is sale stuff. Thousands and thousands of films...but I think they only open after 2pm.
    Thanks for this as well, I love digging through old movies and games looking for bargain gems.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    Google Play (HK) has quite a lot of classic HK movies.
    Christmas presents for some overseas film buffs.