Like Tree6Likes

Water Dispenser + Water Coupon Promotions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I don't know if anyone cares, but there was a big thing about BPA (a hormone disrupter particularly bad for babies and kids) in plastic bottles a while ago. As far as I can tell almost all the water delivery services in HK use type 7 or PC bottles which are supposed to be among the worst.
    The only exception is the Watson's 12L size, so if BPA is a concern that is your only option for delivery.
    Also I don't know if / how it matters but I think that Watson's uses steam distillation while the rest use reverse osmosis filters.

Hong Kong water is perfectly safe to drink - most locals saying it's not are utterly out of touch. The more pressing issue is taste - it's not brilliant because of the processing sometimes leaves a chlorine taste which can be annoying if you drink it straight or in weak tea where the flavours do not overcome the water taste. A cheaper solution is something like a Brita jug which you can keep in the fridge or on the side, for less icky tasting water. But I would taste your water first to see if this is an issue for you.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

We just boil our tap water and then use Brita pitchers which is safe, more economical, space saving and the water tastes perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ren32:
    For service I can really recommend Watson's.
    Hi ren32,

You are right, it seems they have the most professional service, but also most expensive prices compared to the others. That's why I was indecisive and decided post here. Now I am more indecisive though

Quote Originally Posted by AmRa6:
    The only exception is the Watson's 12L size
    Hi AmRa6

How can we understand the difference? Based on something written on the bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Hong Kong water is perfectly safe to drink
    Hi Katherine,

So, you guys drink from the tap directly? Or boil etc. first?

Our building management also told that water is clean, but they don't recommend to drink it due to old piping. We live on a high floor, I guess that makes the interaction with the pipes even longer compared to low floors.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    the most economical is your own tap water.
    suggest you get your tap water tested to see if its up to good standard and if it is, use it - cheapest and best option out there.

Hong Kong has high quality water but the quality can deteriorate due to old pipes. Get it checked out first before you shell out thousands of dollars a year.
    You be like full mental man. You drink HK tap water. Freakin loco lol

Quote Originally Posted by dincer80:
    We live on a high floor, I guess that makes the interaction with the pipes even longer compared to low floors.
    Actually, the water tank is on the roof generally, so higher floor equates to short pipework from the tank to the unit, compared with the low floors, but that's not important what is important (1) the material, pre-1994 buildings have iron pipes which corrode (2) frequency of maintenance, which is normally zero unless the building has joined the voluntary maintenance scheme:

WSD - Fresh Water (Plus)

incidentally, they copied that idea from the private sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster:
    What would make HK tap water any worse than tap water in any other developed city?

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster:
    Yup, been doin it for 20 years. I've gone completely loopy and telling everyone to do the same

I should answer my own question. HK water has loads more superstition in it.

Unfortunately, the superstition doesn't boil or filter out.

On the bottom of each plastic bottle is a recycling code inside (or under) a triangle symbol. Most big bottles are now 7 or PC (polycarbonate) while most small (500ml, 1 litre) are 1 or PET.
    None of the companies will tell you what bottle they use or care (I went through it with them). So you have to do your own leg work, which I did a couple of years ago.

Also HK water is not biologically unsafe like in some developing countries. The main problem may be metal or chemical contamination. So there is no reason to boil it as boiling only kills germs and does nothing to contaminants.