Like Tree17Likes

Whisky deals thread for frugal drinkers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thanks to everyone who have posted so far. Here are a couple of updates:

Macallan 12 spotted for $450 at a neighborhood (possibly Indo?) supermarket at the corner of Tong Shui and Wharf in North Point. Box looked legit but didn't see the bottle/hologram.

Also saw a "limited edition" (i.e. fancy, decorated box) Macallan 12 at City Garden Wellcome for $538.

As for how much whisky I drink, it is sadly not as much as I used to. It is hard liquor after all and as I get older I seem to actually be able to feel my body being less tolerant. But it's really nice when you find a good single malt that you like where even a small amount creates a lot of pleasure. I love me a good Islay malt and my benchmark is Laphroaig 10 for USD$39.99 at Costco in San Francisco. Unfortunately the cheapest Laphroaig I've seen here is over $600 (damn).

Searching for used video game stuff I stumbled upon people selling whisky on Carousell, with some interesting-looking prices as well. May be worth a try with high-feedback sellers. Who will take one for the team?

https://hk.carousell.com/search/prod...cotch%20whisky

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    I went whisky shopping yesterday at watson's wine. Blue label is priced at 1650 but no stock so in frugal mode, I'd purchased mcallan 12 for 599.
    Pegasus wine has an online shop that sells it for $1560. I think orders above $800 qualify for free shipping
    WMDS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quantzie:
    Pegasus wine has an online shop that sells it for $1560. I think orders above $800 qualify for free shipping
    Watson Wine sell it for $1600, still trying to finish off my Macallan12 I got over xmas. Still have a lot left for a party of 6 people!

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    Watson Wine sell it for $1600, still trying to finish off my Macallan12 I got over xmas. Still have a lot left for a party of 6 people!
    6 Bottles left?

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    I love me a good Islay malt and my benchmark is Laphroaig 10 for USD$39.99 at Costco in San Francisco. Unfortunately the cheapest Laphroaig I've seen here is over $600 (damn).

If you're going through the airport, pick up a bottle of Lagavulin 16. It's only around $800 compared to $1600 I've seen in regular shops.

HK duty free is expensive...I usually buy mine when I come back from Malaysia. Prices are almost 20% cheaper

2 cents (with limited value, since my whisky or whiskey knowledge is limited):

- For the brave, Chung King Mansions has some reasonably priced alcohol in the many Indian stores on the ground floor (particularly check the store on the far right corner), don't recollect the breadth of the whisky options.
    - I've seen Monkey Shoulder for US$ 26 at Cochin Duty Free, so if your travels bring you through there, worth looking out for. Quite an excellent blend/value IMO.

DS Groceries seem to have new single malts and blended whiskies in:

Laphroaig ($490),
    Deanston Virgin Oak 12 y.o. ($320),
    Glenmorangie Lasanta ($390),
    Monkey Shoulder ($490)
    Balvenie Doublewood ($530)

Some for reasonable prices- comparable to the UK.

jonathan.lo likes this.

It is quite cheap to buy whisky in Jordon ShangHai street~ There are some liquor shops owned by East Asia person which sells whisky and vodka in a relative cheap price ~maybe you can check it

Any idea where I can get the cheapest Yamazaki or Hibiki? I generally use Carousell

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast