Like Tree9Likes

M&S sells Hong Kong business to partner Al-Futtaim

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M&S sells Hong Kong business to partner Al-Futtaim

Marks & Spencer sells Hong Kong business to partner Al-Futtaim | South China Morning Post

I am hopeful this won't change things day to day, as the franchise operator is one that it already works with in other regions.

I'm surprised if their stores in HK made any profit. I remember they started with a few shops and they were hardly that busy. M&S is a bit expensive (for food) and I think there isn't a huge demand for British style supermarket products either.

I think maybe 2 shops in the main expat areas would have been enough. But last year they seemed to open 30 extra shops in fairly high rent areas too.

East_coast and hin23leung like this.

I think maybe 2 shops in the main expat areas would have been enough. But last year they seemed to open 30 extra shops in fairly high rent areas too.
    And now you know why they opened so many new stores. Someone elses problem now...
    East_coast and hin23leung like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    And now you know why they opened so many new stores. Someone elses problem now...
    to boost growth curves before the sale?

Or as us simpletons say... pump and dump.

we do most of our basic grocery shopping at M&S.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    we do most of our basic grocery shopping at M&S.
    We buy pretty much all our food there.

If I remember correctly the food business was doing fine, it's the clothing section that is not. Food is a bit pricey but if you go in the evening you can buy some of the reduced items.

WMDS likes this.

Let me guess - the newer stores have high exposure to mainland traffic? Let's face it, M&S teabags are cheaper "proof" of one's trip to HK than high end jewelry!

(declaration of prejudice - I frequently get the impression I'm the only Cantonese speaker shopping in Tuen Mun M&S)

hin23leung and Drunken Master like this.

How can you guys do your grocery shopping in MS? I see only long shelf life stuff in their shops in HK, no fruits/veggies/dairy...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast