Like Tree16Likes

Marks & Spencer Food - by Air or by Sea?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marks & Spencer Food - by Air or by Sea?

So I just had a Marks and Spencer navel orange and I swear it was the freshest orange I've tasted since, well, basically since coming to Hong Kong. Far better than the occasionally dried up things that come to my local Marketplace.

Does Marks and Spencer "air freight" all their foods into Hong Kong, or is it a "slow boat to China"? I'm kind of curious as several things are pretty fresh but couldn't have lasted two or three weeks in shipping. Anyone have any first-hand knowledge of how the food gets here so quickly?

East_coast and HK_Katherine like this.

It has to be air freighted. I had a toffee fresh cream meringue yesterday(I just felt I had died and gone to heaven..} How is it they do not know what a fresh cream cake is (or a meringue) here?

I have wondered the same as well and not sure if I really want to know the answer. My thoughts are that everything is air freighted. So, that delicious orange you enjoyed was first air freighted to the U.K. from South Africa/Chile/Australia/Morroco/etc and then air freighted to Hong Kong.

The less I think about my carbon footprint, the tastier my food becomes.

The above does assume it is all coming from the UK. I know some of their foodstuff is made in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    So I just had a Marks and Spencer navel orange and I swear it was the freshest orange I've tasted since, well, basically since coming to Hong Kong. Far better than the occasionally dried up things that come to my local Marketplace.

Does Marks and Spencer "air freight" all their foods into Hong Kong, or is it a "slow boat to China"? I'm kind of curious as several things are pretty fresh but couldn't have lasted two or three weeks in shipping. Anyone have any first-hand knowledge of how the food gets here so quickly?
    One of the reasons we shop at M&S is that stuff tastes the same as it does in the UK. Not "similar". The same. This includes all their fresh made stuff (e.g. sandwiches, salads etc). I have no idea how they do it either!

They are air freight from China to UK back to HK.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    One of the reasons we shop at M&S is that stuff tastes the same as it does in the UK. Not "similar". The same. This includes all their fresh made stuff (e.g. sandwiches, salads etc). I have no idea how they do it either!
    The sandwiches are made in HK, that is how they do it.
    TheBrit likes this.

Ships with massive refrigerators and controlled atmospheres.

Eat apples in Hong Kong? They were probably picked 6-12 months ago. Oranges, 2-3 months.

Original Post Deleted
    most hk sandwiches taste nothing like those in the uk so yes, it is. assume due to sourcing of ingredients.

What about the fruit in the markets in HK? I would have thought they are the freshest?

I know there are some shops which sell local HK grown produce too if you are looking for fresh.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast