Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By Sophiejade
  • 1 Post By Golem
  • 1 Post By answerer

Buying prescription glasses

Lightbulb Buying prescription glasses

Hello,

I’m looking to buy a new pair of prescription glasses. I’m not particularly worried about getting an eye test as I only had my eyes tested about 6 months ago, but unfortunately my current frames have broken.

When I lived in Shanghai we had an optical market - basically a mall full of optical stores selling thousands of different frames, mostly knock offs of high end styles.

I wondered if there was anything similar in HK? Have tried researching online but can’t seem to find anything.

I’m not bothered at all if they are designer copies, rather I’m just looking for a replacement pair of frames for as cheap as possible! I know the copyright laws are very different here to the mainland so if there is no such place, could anyone recommend an opticians or glasses store?

Thanks for any any help or advice you can give me.

No mall as such, the Mrs has bought online from mySale. Have seen good-ish stuff on TaoBao, but I cannot be bothered looking for style... generic cheap stuff is common at the lower end opticians (just have to tell them your budget is $300 or whatver)

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

This place was recommended before on Geoexpat. They've got a really wide range of frames, some are really cheap, some are expensive. Turnaround time is fast, off memory an hour or so. They seem quite professional in the quick/no-frills HK style.

They're in TST/Jordan.

https://newfei.com.hk/

shri, spode, Sophiejade and 1 others like this.

Thanks so much for your replies. For anyone else reading this thread, I ended up going to New Fei Optical (link in the reply above) and not only did they fix my current frames for me, they did it free of charge! Couldn’t have been happier. Will definitely return when it’s time to get a new pair.

shri likes this.

If you're not fussy, check this place out. It's very cheap and I've ordered several pairs from them with no issues

https://www.zennioptical.com/

shri likes this.

If you're ok with slightly trendy style and your prescription is in standard range, EGG Optical has a number of outlets in shopping malls. Flat rates and hassle free.

Home - EGG website

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    No mall as such, the Mrs has bought online from mySale.
    Buying prescription glasses online is tricky and the chance that the work is like a gamble. Unless she bought reading glasses, that can do.

BTW, there is a (very small) glasses mall in Shenzhen, Nanshan I think. Maybe 5% of Sanye in Shanghai.

Just the frames. Not the lenses.

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

I bought a few pairs frame and lenses from Zenni online and there were no issues. They're so cheap that I didn't care if they didn't last or weren't perfect. They turned out great and I still have them after over a year. They were meant to be back up pairs and I now wear them regularly.