Like Tree28Likes

Where to buy/what to buy quality shopping bicycle

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My previous post should have read "talk to Jacky at Friendly bikes", the owner is a great guy.

You can also use Boeshield T9 all over the bike. It was developed to prevent corrosion and later adaped as a bike lubricant. Comes in a spray can. But in the bearings you'd still want a proper thick grease.

You don't need to do this weekly. Grease and Boeshield will last many months.

jayinhongkong likes this.

I would advise against buying anything too nice as bike theft is rampant in HK! You may be able to rescue your current bike, but the XDS option sounded good.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    I would advise against buying anything too nice as bike theft is rampant in HK! You may be able to rescue your current bike, but the XDS option sounded good.
    Peng Chau is pretty good on bike theft as you have to take the bike on the ferry to sell it anywhere- lots of cameras, etc. I have left my bike unlocked quite a few times (forgot) and no problem- everyone at Peng Chau rides the bikes to the ferry so no local will steal it (you'd see it right away at the pier). Still, not going to buy any crazy expensive bike because I don't need high performance and it's going to live a hard life at the ferry pier- where other bikes can fall on it during windstorms, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    My previous post should have read "talk to Jacky at Friendly bikes", the owner is a great guy.

You can also use Boeshield T9 all over the bike. It was developed to prevent corrosion and later adaped as a bike lubricant. Comes in a spray can. But in the bearings you'd still want a proper thick grease.

You don't need to do this weekly. Grease and Boeshield will last many months.
    I was there yesterday- have never gone inside as it looked all mountain bikes- but he did have shopping bikes in the back- Joker (apparently a Taiwan brand) and Merida (I think also Taiwan). No prices on them and I didn't ask as they were very busy with repair customers, as is typical on the weekends. May just bite the bullet and buy one as I am nervous about my current bike- I am a klutz so any mechanical malfunction would quickly be a disaster for me.
    East_coast likes this.

My New Bike

Bit the bullet in the pouring rain- bike shop was less crowded- and bought a new bike. 10 minutes from beginning to end. 1800 plus 100 for a big rear basket (a basic grocery-hauling necessity). Will bring it back to Friendly for routine maintenance- too embarrassed with my lousy Cantonese to do it at the bike shops on Peng Chau which is partly why I am in this position with the current bike. Also bought lube and will try to rehab the current bike as best I can before giving it away.
    Rode around Mui Wo waiting for the ferry back to Peng Chau- feels more solid than my current ride.

Picture is in its natural habitat of ferry pier...

Thanks to all for the help!

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 02-07-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    East_coast, JAherbert, jgl and 4 others like this.

Congrats on your new bike!

MABinPengChau likes this.

Congrats on the new bike! What town on LI are you from?

Patchogue- also flat like Peng Chau- and why do I keep ending up on islands? (LI, Japan, HK, Peng Chau). Partner wants to open an office in Taiwan, more islands...

seems obvious really, if you don't maintain your new bike it will become rusted heap too. must be some bike techs on peng chau that can grease the bearings, oil the moving parts, etc. even kept outside it could live for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Patchogue- also flat like Peng Chau- and why do I keep ending up on islands? (LI, Japan, HK, Peng Chau). Partner wants to open an office in Taiwan, more islands...
    Lived in Nassau for several years. I have been out to Patchogue too. I totally get why you'd like Peng Chau
    MABinPengChau likes this.