Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

At last self check-out coming to HK

In the U.S., some stores are rolling back on the self-check out stations. At my local grocery store, the shelf-check stations are only open when there is an employee hovering over to "help" when there is an issue.

What's worse than having to pay a cashier? Paying guards/security to monitor customers doing self-checkout as well as absorbing the shrinkage.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    if the vision system can spot green from orange then they need batter software
    This is the business model of releasing cats to get rid of mice. And then releasing dogs to get rid of the cats. And then releasing lions to get rid of the dogs . . . .
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    There were no human cashiers, as I said in my post. Automated machines or don't shop there.
    Yes I missed that.

Tesco probably didn't think this through.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sinespe
    Yes I missed that.

Tesco probably didn't think this through.
    I think I would like to see a broader range of opinions than Gritty's before I came to that conclusion about one of the most successful companies in Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by huja
    This is the business model of releasing cats to get rid of mice. And then releasing dogs to get rid of the cats. And then releasing lions to get rid of the dogs . . . .
    Nor really. It is just software that helps people not make mistakes. The fear of getting caught is the biggest crime preventer. Software can help people understand that an un-manned process does not mean an un-managed process

Last edited by East_coast; 07-08-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    jabalong likes this.

Popped into a local P&S and from the 8 checkout they did have they have replaced 4 manual check-out with 4 much slower self serve checkouts.

Interestly the whole shop also had adopted electronic labelling. That should help them maximise profits more than removing 4 basic wage workers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqvzrKm0tUI

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I find these useful at Watsons when I only have a couple of items.
    Yup, in the US it is great for a small amount of shopping as there are typically more available tills and it's faster to get through and easier to verify pricing because there are always problems with pricing in larger supermarkets. Paying with ApplePay or whatever also extremely simplifies the process.

Somewhere like HomeDepot it's hit or miss, usually you have the same amount of staff milling around and you are generally not in a rush, but it's when you have 6 open self checkouts or 2 regular checkouts with a long queue of multiple carts, the choice is easy.

Sorry to bump up this thread but in Kai Tak along what is supposed to be the Station Square there is a fully automated convenience store.
    You need to register your Octopus Card quickly on their website which takes a minute or so to get access to inside the store. It's a regular store from then on except that you're locked inside until you pay.
    (also the first time I ever bought a dusty packet of skittles )

shri and robertlempriere like this.

The ones in Wellcome are unusable, most people give up in frustration and it is very rare that you see anyone using them. And, as I found out when I tried them, if you don't read Chinese you can't even get started.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast