Like Tree79Likes

At last self check-out coming to HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

At last self check-out coming to HK

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ng#add-comment

Even with HK's miserly minimum wage self-check-out makes sense

I love technology. Actually, given how over-worked and underpaid 'mechanical' check-out operators operate, I for one wouldnt be able to tell if they've been replaced by real machines.

Original Post Deleted
    Even the Hong Kong human touch?

I can assure you, with all the pricing mistakes Fusion makes, this will be far, far slower than a real human you can instantly argue with.

I've never found these machines very efficient or fast. In fact, the zombies that run check-out counters are far more experienced and faster at it than I am myself. There are a few lovely people that work where I regularly shop and are happy to teach me some Cantonese words when I check out. So no thanks to this... Now if only they could replace the HK taxi drivers with technology -- that would be far, far better and safer!

Another vote for humans. The machines are not for the benefit of customers just cost cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Another vote for humans. The machines are not for the benefit of customers just cost cutting.
    Given the a human can do the process process much faster you probably need double the check-out space.

1m2 of retail space is surely more expensive than a check-out persons wages for life!

Who is going to pack all my shopping in the bags?! Worse idea ever.

Jaz Paul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Given the a human can do the process process much faster you probably need double the check-out space.

1m2 of retail space is surely more expensive than a check-out persons wages for life!
    Not my experience in the UK, they take up a lot less space so even if the machines are slower the total space required is less.
    East_coast likes this.

Definitely a plus when the 2 checkout lines are occupied with people will full carts and home delivery and all I need to is to pay for some water!

angeluscomplex and Jaz Paul like this.

Quote Originally Posted by answerer:
    Definitely a plus when the 2 checkout lines are occupied with people will full carts and home delivery and all I need to is to pay for some water!
    That problem is easily solved by not buying bottled water. (Also helps avoid other problems, like waste)
    TheBrit, jrkob, tinlissie and 3 others like this.

I never go into supermarkets in Hong Kong... they'd have to do a lot more than self-checkout to change that.

angeluscomplex likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast