Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpeakCantonese

Large items from taobao

Large items from taobao

Is there some limit to the size/weight of items you can order from taobao?
    I am looking to get a reed screen, say something like this one:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=20#detail

But the package would be massive. I know it's about 10 yuan per kg for the mail forwarder, but surely there must be some limits? Has anybody ordered a huge item before? I don't want the item to arrive and be stuck/rejected by the forwarder.

Also, could someone help me out with how to ask "how heavy is [....]?" in chinese so I can message the seller? Would help me estimate shipping costs.

Thanks.

Check with SF / Top Express. I reguarly see very large packages at the SF sorting center near my office... usually flat packs / furniture.

SF can handle heavy loads without problems. We recently sent about 250Kgs worth of books to Macau through SF in a single shipment - no big deal for them.

Also, google translate seems to work well for the Mrs.

This is from Top Express

單件貨物邊長超過150CM 收超長費120rmb ,超180CM收超長費200rmb ,最長限制250CM

合併後貨物每票最重為 50KG

當單件貨品的長度超過35cm, 實重不超過體積重的2/3時,貨品將以體積重計算

有疑問請查詢客服

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

If you can type Chinese, it's easier to ask them to send direct via SF and you pay upon delivery

We recently ordered a reception desk from Taobao that weighed around 100kg... It cost around $1000. Anyway, when it got to Zhongshan, they wanted another $1000 to bring it to us in HK, take it or leave it.

It wasn't a scam as the vendor offered us a full refund, we took it as $2000 was still cheap, I think, and I wanted it it (A reception desk that looks like the front of a VW camper for our language centre!)...

Anyway, we order stuff every week and that's the first time we've had that 'problem', but it was a big lump...

The only other time we had a bit of a hassle was when we ordered a few of those all-weather outside cupboards and we had to go get them from some warehouse in Tsuen Wan... I would say 90% of the stuff is dropped at our door or left with security.

jgl likes this.