Like Tree13Likes

Can't use eBay in Hong Kong???

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    taobao sellers (china's version of ebay) has specific clauses not to sell anyone in China, HK or Macau on other platforms, as Taobao checks and disable their taobao accounts, i have actually asked why don't they ship to here and they responded
    Wrong. Taobao sellers can sell to anywhere they like. No problem with a Hong Kong address, just that some sellers don't want to ship out of country. Same as eBay.

To avoid those long discussions just use a reshipper, such as... Topexpress託寶淘寶集運站-網站首頁
    Proplus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Wrong. Taobao sellers can sell to anywhere they like. No problem with a Hong Kong address, just that some sellers don't want to ship out of country. Same as eBay.

To avoid those long discussions just use a reshipper, such as... Topexpress託寶淘寶集運站-網站首頁
    i actually asked an international ebay seller based in shenzhen, that stated they were restricted by taobao to sell in their domestic market, ie, china, macau and HK

i actually asked an international ebay seller based in shenzhen, that stated they were restricted by taobao to sell in their domestic market, ie, china, macau and HK
    Why would an eBay seller be restricted by Taobao? They are different companies. And some eBay sellers from China do ship to HK.

From what I gather - there are two types of sellers that do not ship internationally 1) selling "4th shift" products and/or 2) Taobao or the seller does not want to be seen as violating territorial distribution licenses (i.e. there may be an exclusive agent / distributor for HK or Macau or elsewhere).
    imparanoic likes this.

It used to be the case that vendors would make most of their money by slapping on ridiculous vastly inflated shipping costs. Is this still the case? It could be why they won’t ship to you...no opportunity to fleece you for extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by PointingFinger:
    It used to be the case that vendors would make most of their money by slapping on ridiculous vastly inflated shipping costs. Is this still the case?
    This was because in the ol' days eBay charged commission only on the item, but not on the shipping cost. Since a few years commission (~10%) is for everything incl. the shipping cost. No point to charge anything other than cost, in fact, many offer free shipping.

Lightbulb ALL ANSWERS HERE ARE CORRECT!

Quote Originally Posted by dwarvenmage18:
    Hi. I've been in Hong Kong since May 2018.
    When I lived in Australia, I would buy everything on eBay (shipping from HK). However... Now that I'm living here and try to purchase things from Hong Kong, the sellers won't post it to me. I'm confused? Wouldn't the shipping be less expensive for the seller now that I live here? I even offered to pick the item up myself but they've all flatly refused. The items I want to buy are things like phones cases, cables and screen protectors etcetera. Things that can fit in a small envelope. And I know you're going to say "try the ladies market" or "the night market". Which I have. But it's besides the point. Why can they post all the way to Australia FOR FREE, but not anywhere in HK??? It's so frustrating. What am I supposed to do. Have the items posted to my Dad's house in Australia, then have him post them all the way back to me? Doesn't make sense....
    For example, I wanted to buy 2 Spigen screen protectors for my new Samsung galaxy S9 phone from an eBay store here in HK. For about $6HKD. Which is ridiculously cheap. Because I refuse to pay for overpriced stuff from Fortress or the wanchai computer centre.
    Is there any way around it? HELP
    1. It's definitely not from Hong Kong, it's from China.
    2. They have this service called e-Package, which they pay a very small amount of money to send package outside the country, 100% I know U.S.A. is one of them, Australia as well, most of the biggest countries in the world are included in this fixed rate Package Service. However, sending to Hong Kong means they can't use this service, and they have to send either through National Post, which is even more expensive than SF Express. And sending small packages through SF Express is also not the cheapest way. So, probably you have to pay more to them to send it to Hong Kong.
    imparanoic, Morrison and shri like this.