Like Tree8Likes

Taobao restrictions to HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Taobao restrictions to HK?

So recently, I have finally figured how to pay for purchase on Taobao by myself (having to ask colleagues in the past) via either my credit card or Alipay HK, and have it delivered directly to my address as I normally ever buy 1 or 2 things at a time so don't want to go through the hassle of consolidated shipping (and the mess of translating all the text throughout the whole process).

The last few days I've across an issue which I thought was either I had entered something incorrectly, or that the item was out of stock. Whenever I select these items, there's no pricing at the bottom, its just that I'm not allowed to pay for it and changing shipping options (even picking it up myself) doesn't allow me to option to buy.

The items in question a old film cameras or lenses. They don't cost much, ranging from HK$500-1500. I can go to a Taobao shop, not be able to buy a camera, but from the same shop be able to buy say a lens hood..... Then I finally realized there was a line of text when I tried to buy an item that it would not allow me, roughly translated to 'due to restrictions of country and Taobao rules, this item is unable to purchase'.

Is there anywhere I can read up on these restrictions? I want to find what factor(s) is preventing me a purchase. Could it be that the item was made in Japan? Is electrical?

Lots of things are restricted these days (by customs), anything with a (rechargeable) battery inside for example or flammable liquids like paint - couriers like SF will refuse to accept the shipment even if the shop is willing to sell to you.

Other times shops just don't want want to risk sending breakable items - like glass cabinets they will only send the frame without glass

I got a colleague to try to buy the same item, and he was successful in that he was allowed to pay for the item. We checked the differences in our account, and its down to me having an HK address, and his defaults to a consolidating company in China.

Further investigation is that through the consolidating company, a tax will be applied to the item, so that's where the sticking point is......

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Further investigation is that through the consolidating company, a tax will be applied to the item, so that's where the sticking point is......
    Tax? What tax? Never heard about it and never paid it.

You can have a HK address in Taobao, but your shipping address should be in China. With direct shipping to HK you have multible obstacles:

1. Taobao has some restrictions on what they ship to HK
    2. You need to ask seller id they are willing to ship to HK
    3. You need ask for shipping cost
    4. You need to buy first and ask seller to amend amount before you can pay
    5. SF has also restrictions on what they ship to HK

On top, the minimum fee SF charges for anything to HK us about $50 - I just had 5 items combined and paid RMB 25 total shipping.

I use this guys, works perfectly. and I wrote a how-to a few month ago here >

Topexpress託寶淘寶集運站-網站首頁
    shri and Editor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:

You can have a HK address in Taobao, but your shipping address should be in China. With direct shipping to HK you have multible obstacles:

1. Taobao has some restrictions on what they ship to HK
    2. You need to ask seller id they are willing to ship to HK
    3. You need ask for shipping cost
    4. You need to buy first and ask seller to amend amount before you can pay
    5. SF has also restrictions on what they ship to HK
    Direct shipping to HK is RMB16 per kg, most the items I've order in the past is very light so within this limit. No need to ask or confirm anything, just set the delivery address to the HK address, select 'to door' delivery option, and pay.

There's a very long list of items that are officially prohibited for export. Personally, I suspect it's because it is 2nd hand.

https://world.taobao.com/helper/know...9&kid=13440942

shri likes this.

It's very weird the restriction I'm facing. I get the following message:

根据相关地区法律法规及淘宝网政策 该商品无法运送至您所在的国家或地

which translate as due to restrictions it will not ship to me.

Only last week I order a particular silver lens hood from a seller and it was shipped no hassle directly to me. Now I go back to the same seller and wanted a black version of the same lens hood, but different listing, and its restricted.

I wanted to order some lens rubber, like thick rubber bands to fit around focus rings, and I get the same restriction. But I go and purchase an big electric dry cabinet, and its straight forward......

Quote Originally Posted by answerer:
    There's a very long list of items that are officially prohibited for export. Personally, I suspect it's because it is 2nd hand.

https://world.taobao.com/helper/know...9&kid=13440942
    Oh, I didn't realise 2nd hand items are not allowed to be exported.

Quote Originally Posted by answerer:
    Did you see 二手 in the list? I didn't. And where 二手 you think would apply? Food items? Drugs?

Anyway, the list doesn't make too much sense. Most of the items are illegal anyway and not available on Taobao. Some are outside common sense, like normal batteries.
    @Proplus
    I believe the restrictions are generated partly by AI (or lack thereof). I had that that before where it totally didn't make sense.

The answer to all that nonsense is, get a consolidator.

My last delivery where actually lens caps and a Li battery.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Did you see 二手 in the list? I didn't. And where 二手 you think would apply? Food items? Drugs?

Anyway, the list doesn't make too much sense. Most of the items are illegal anyway and not available on Taobao. Some are outside common sense, like normal batteries.
    @Proplus
    I believe the restrictions are generated partly by AI (or lack thereof). I had that that before where it totally didn't make sense.

The answer to all that nonsense is, get a consolidator.

My last delivery where actually lens caps and a Li battery.
    I've received lens caps, lens covers, etc as well. It's just certain items are one of kind in that there are no other listings for it, and its restricted.

I've literally looked at over a thousand different film point and click cameras ranging from RMB300-1000 and all are restricted.....I guess IF 2nd hand items are restricted that makes sense as these are not new and are used.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast