Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By jgl
  • 2 Post By imparanoic
  • 4 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By imparanoic

Grey imports - return/warranty situation?

Closed Thread

Grey imports - return/warranty situation?

Hi,

I am looking at buying a Canon camera. It is available on HKTV mall through one of their merchants '4P Store' but it states non returnable as it is an import item.

What does this mean. Is an item such as this still covered by the manufacturers warranty?

It is worth the hassle or best to pay a little more and get it from somewhere I could return it too if there was a problem?

Some manufacturers do not offer global warranty or only cover if purchased from an authorised dealer. I'd check on the manufacturer's policy on this. Quite often problematic if the brand does not have its own service center here in HK or the service center is run by a distributor who obviously does not give a shit about overseas imports.

Some shops will offer a 7 day return / shop warranty - which sometimes is worth the risk if the pricing is significantly lower than auth reseller.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I am looking at buying a Canon camera. It is available on HKTV mall through one of their merchants '4P Store' but it states non returnable as it is an import item.

What does this mean. Is an item such as this still covered by the manufacturers warranty?
    Off memory (I looked at this 3+ years ago) the situation with cameras might not be straightforwards. Canon/Nikon have policies that cover their bodies and lenses differently for global warranties, so you should look for the specific manufacturer policy. This is talking DSLRs and their lenses, rather than the point and shoots.

Generally though, I'd go with the assumption that grey = no manufacturer warranty, and if it's through some random internet vendor based purely on lowest price, then there's likely no support from them.

If you want a proper warranty, there's a bunch of threads covering where to get cameras. Wing Shing is a common recommendation. But if you save a lot going grey market, the chances of a camera failing due to a warranty issue are pretty low.
    shri and imparanoic like this.

also price check the same camera from hk tv mall grey import and the independent stores such as above mentioned reputable licenced stores such as wing shing/man shing compare to duopolistic stores such as fortress and boardway which sell at list price, the prices could be closer than you think (from grey import to independant ) as reputable licenced stores such as wing shing/man shing are very competitive unlike the duopolistic stores

www.price.com.hk

水 = grey import
    行 = official hk stock

shri and jgl like this.

It's worth mentioning- some of those price.com.hk vendors are very low overhead box shifters operating out of tiny little offices high up in random buildings in the middle of nowhere. You message them to arrange stock to be brought in, and the next day you turn up and collect. But you do end up with properly warrantied product that you can register on the manufacturer sites.

Makes for an interesting HK-style shopping experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    It's worth mentioning- some of those price.com.hk vendors are very low overhead box shifters operating out of tiny little offices high up in random buildings in the middle of nowhere. You message them to arrange stock to be brought in, and the next day you turn up and collect. But you do end up with properly warrantied product that you can register on the manufacturer sites.

Makes for an interesting HK-style shopping experience.
    yes, they will confirm stock via whatsapp and you may have to go one of their obscure shops to pick the items and check if kosher, but the warranty definetly is there.
    shri likes this.