Like Tree3Likes

Jade Shopping Advice?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Jade Shopping Advice?

?I have a friend who is coming to visit at the end of February and shopping for some reasonably priced jade jewelry for herself and her daughter is on her bucket list. I know nothing about jade except that it is easy to get ripped off by fake dealers. If anyone has suggestions or advice about how I can help guide her jade shopping experience in HK, I would be very grateful! Thank you!

dont go to jade market to get ripped off with fakes LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    dont go to jade market to get ripped off with fakes LOL
    Or just buy fakes but pay a price you feel is fair...
    chuckster007 likes this.

I've taken tourist friends to the China Arts shops to buy Jade. Better than random shops...

https://www.cachk.com/lists/index/Jewelry

The mainstream jewellers like Chow Tai Fook and Luk Fook will all carry Jade that you know wont be fake.

Im guessing they will have a range of prices too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    The mainstream jewellers like Chow Tai Fook and Luk Fook will all carry Jade that you know wont be fake.
    Shops like that, the Jades are EXPENSIVE .

not sure what is fake jades.. from what i have observed many countries like myanmar or maybe laos actually have jade stones by the tonnes... are they fake ? not sure..

i remembered by fren used to go to this shop (in singapore) and chatted with the owner.. they all love jade.. so one day when she finally decided to pay that crazy price for a piece of very nice white jade, the owner said: "when you buy jade, it comes with the fate of getting to meet the piece of jade. so don't bargain, just treat this as a fate driven meeting and pay the stated price"...

dont ask me how to interpret this wisdom.. but it was quite a talking topic amongst friends.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier
    not sure what is fake jades.. from what i have observed many countries like myanmar or maybe laos actually have jade stones by the tonnes... are they fake ? not sure..

i remembered by fren used to go to this shop (in singapore) and chatted with the owner.. they all love jade.. so one day when she finally decided to pay that crazy price for a piece of very nice white jade, the owner said: "when you buy jade, it comes with the fate of getting to meet the piece of jade. so don't bargain, just treat this as a fate driven meeting and pay the stated price"...

dont ask me how to interpret this wisdom.. but it was quite a talking topic amongst friends.
    One of my clients owns a Jade mine in Kazakhstan, it's the largest deposit in the world apparently. If you take samples to the Jade markets in china and tell them where its from they arent interested, but if you tell them it's from Burma they don't know any different.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Being an item on their 'bucket list', I'd presume your friends have performed at least a cursory level of due diligence on the subject?

The article at Geology.com reinforces the handful of things I previously knew about jade:

https://geology.com/gemstones/jade/

...that there are two kinds; jadeite & nephrite
    ...that most jadeite undergoes some level of treatment as a part of the normal manufacturing/refining process

It asserts that there is a large audience in HK for jadeite. I'll elaborate further that while the diamond industry dots the globe with diamond grading labs (GIA, EGL, etc), Hong Kong has (last I checked) the sole lab for grading and verifying jade.

In buying a pricey piece of Imperial Jade from the likes of Chow Tai Fook (et al) for upwards of 50,000hkd, I'd expect it to be accompanied by a verification certificate from the HK lab in the same way a high-end diamond over a carat should be paired with an EGL, GIA, or ISI certificate. Given the level of competition among the mega-shops, I'd expect this to factor into their decision to avoid color-enhanced low-grade fakes. Doing otherwise would dry their stream of wealthy mainlanders who clamor into HK to gobble up primo jade by the trayfull.

The flip side of this may be that their 'bucket list' intention is merely to go through the EXPERIENCE of completing the task in this geographic spot and not so much about the jade quality as the paramount goal. HK street vendors offering varying levels of treated jade are certainly plentiful. Find a piece that's pretty to you, haggle the hell out of it, and enjoy it for its brief aesthetic and nostalgic value. Over the next 5 years, if it cracks from brittleness or loses coloration, you won't have paid much. If it lasts well beyond that, bonus!

shri likes this.

There's Jade street (actually the section of canton road in Jordan) that leads up to Jade market.

Are they selling fakes? No idea but they don't give off that impression to me, they feel more like tiny jewellery shops vs the stalls in a market where they have piles and piles of same shapes/designs laid out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast