Buying Coffee Beans - 2019

Buying Coffee Beans - 2019

Hi All,

anyone have tips on buying decent (and moderately priced) coffee beans in HK?
    It's been a while, and most of links are dead now..

cheers

I am not sure you will get much luck with anything moderately priced in HK. 225g of beans from a store is usually around HK$125-150. It may be unfair to compare with a larger country but someone very decent such as HasBean in the UK would be half of that cost for beans that are very well roasted. Even his very special beans would only be around HK$120

In HK you will get micro roasted beans done by someone who means well but is merely a glorified amateur playing with their toy roaster but charging world high prices for roasted beans. The demand is not there for them to become proficient, they are trying to learn on the job but without any volume they will learn very slowly. The workaround is roasting farty small batches.

The other thing is the HK shops tend to follow rather than lead, so they are currently still in the ultra light roast trend for roasting copied from Norway, which means you will have to drink very acidic, astringent coffees. Great for replicating car battery acid but not very pleasant to drink, unless you are trying to be hip.

I am sure there are decent shops out there, you just need to hunt around and whenever I buy from them I ask them about the roast level beforehand.

Is Olympia Graeco Egyptian Coffee still in Old Bailey Street or have they moved to Kowloon Bay?

Most supermarkets carry coffee beans. Starts in the $70 range.