Like Tree9Likes

Thank you gifts from HK for Japanese?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thank you gifts from HK for Japanese?

I need to buy several thank-you gifts to send to some kind people in Japan who helped me along a journey there. I really feel like everything from HK sucks and especially in comparison to the high level of quality of everything Japanese.

Mooncakes come to mind, but this might get a little expensive as I'd like to send to several people (and I feel the price of mooncakes is a rip-off)... I don't mind spending over $100 for one or two gifts, but it would be good to have some cheaper ones, too.

I thought about sending some handmade bags I have, but again, they look kind of crummy compared to anything Japanese.

What about HK cards -- anyone seen any cards of HK that show something that's *not* a cityscape? (Because the message I want to share with others is that HK is so much more than just skyscrapers.)

Suggestions? Ideas?

Some local Chinese snacks. Salted egg chips, fish skin chips, etc. Preserved foods? Chinese sausage, thousand year old eggs and salted fish?

Maybe look in those markets in Mongkok or Stanley. They are quite touristy, but I think thats what you are looking for - represents HK, Chinese/HK style, kinda cheap. Reminder for your budget, you won't get anything good quality in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Some local Chinese snacks. Salted egg chips, fish skin chips, etc. Preserved foods? Chinese sausage, thousand year old eggs and salted fish?
    Ewwwww...

Would Japanese people like these?

Because I never eat things like this myself, I have no idea where to buy some nicely packaged ones suitable for sending as a gift -- any suggestions? What do I look for (i.e. Chinese names)?

Chinese sausage is so disgusting, that's definitely not an option. I can hardly stand to be near the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Ewwwww...

Would Japanese people like these?

Because I never eat things like this myself, I have no idea where to buy some nicely packaged ones suitable for sending as a gift -- any suggestions? What do I look for (i.e. Chinese names)?

Chinese sausage is so disgusting, that's definitely not an option. I can hardly stand to be near the stuff.
    It its so diagusting to you then buy then caviar. Chinese sausage is not a health food, but its pretty darn good. No more disgusting than a frankfuter or some kind of European sausage. What are you doing in HK if the foods are so offensive?

Try HKTDC Design Gallery or G.O.D. for gifts with local flair. For food items you can look at getting cookies from Tony Wong, Cookie Galerie, etc. or the cheaper options such as Kee Wah. A nice tea or those blooming teas make good gifts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    No more disgusting than a frankfuter or some kind of European sausage. What are you doing in HK if the foods are so offensive?
    Obviously I can't make such important decisions in life based on the food alone, and if I could I probably wouldn't be in Hong Kong. I find the smell of Chinese sausages repulsive. I don't mind the thousand year old eggs. Not sure a Japanese person would like them though... ?

Quote Originally Posted by ddubya:
    Try HKTDC Design Gallery or G.O.D. for gifts with local flair. For food items you can look at getting cookies from Tony Wong, Cookie Galerie, etc. or the cheaper options such as Kee Wah. A nice tea or those blooming teas make good gifts as well.
    What do people buy a Kee Wah? I can't imagine they are very good -- or rather any regular one from Japan would be many times better. But it's an option -- I'm sure the thought and receiving something would be meaningful regardless if it isn't the best quality. (Sorry, I'm really putting down HK, but I find it to be so true... the regular convenience stores have pastries that I found far better than anything from HK bakeries...)

Tea is a good idea -- but where to buy some nicely packaged one that would be something different from Japanese tea?
    @UK/HKboy "those markets" -- Stanley is too far away for me. Mong Kok is possible, but to me Mong Kok is a huge area and the ladies market off the top of my head strikes me as a being knick-knack junk (I never have spent much time there for that reason) -- can you be more specific as to what kind of stand you're referring to and where?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

What do people buy a Kee Wah? I can't imagine they are very good -- or rather any regular one from Japan would be many times better. But it's an option -- I'm sure the thought and receiving something would be meaningful regardless if it isn't the best quality. (Sorry, I'm really putting down HK, but I find it to be so true... the regular convenience stores have pastries that I found far better than anything from HK bakeries...)
    Kee Wah is probably the most reasonable in terms of price and quality. They have a variety of products that are packaged quite nicely. I think the Mini Walnut Cookies or the Wife Cakes set are pretty good and I've always had good receptions from my Japanese friends/colleagues when I give it to them as gifts.

https://keewah.com/en/products/gift
    ddubya, Elegiaque and imparanoic like this.

HKTDC Design Gallery has a few choices of tea but might be at the higher end of your budget. For $ 100 you can get a small tube of flowering tea from Ming Cha. Design Gallery and various book stores (I think Bookazine) also stocks them.

Below HK$100

Just make sure whatever you get is packaged nicely. Presentation is key.

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by junichitsuyo:
    Kee Wah is probably the most reasonable in terms of price and quality. They have a variety of products that are packaged quite nicely. I think the Mini Walnut Cookies or the Wife Cakes set are pretty good and I've always had good receptions from my Japanese friends/colleagues when I give it to them as gifts.

https://keewah.com/en/products/gift

Ahhh! Wife cakes are something unique from HK (and I can say I kind of like them). I've never bought anything from Kee Wah, but yes, they look nice and they have convenient locations. Ok, I think I will aim for this or Jenny's Cookies.

All the people I will be sending something to know very little about Hong Kong and have never visited (and never will). Honestly, if I could send something to every single person who helped me, I'd have to send over a hundred gifts. There were constantly people saying hello to me and trying to help me (offering me rides, offering me umbrellas in the rain, offering me a place to stay, offering me drinks, picking up my dropped hat). The Japanese are really remarkable hosts. I have never experienced anything like it. I still chuckle a bit when HKers gloat how great they are, but obviously in a very different position...

Still open to ideas and suggestions...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast