Like Tree23Likes

Does anyone know where I can buy a metal trunk?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I want it for my Faraday cage but you all laughed the last time I mentioned it. Steamer trunk sized would be ideal. Thanks for the suggestions (and the others by PM).

Quote Originally Posted by BCD:
    Hmm, you may want to provide more back story, I'm getting some Kissel vibes! And wasn't that right around SARS?...
    Yup! Kid was only 1 and had a playdate with friend and her toddler. Called to reconfirm the time and she had to cancel cos her hubby's friend/colleague was just found murdered. AIYA!!!!!

Is something like this an option? You can then put it into a normal hard / protective case?

Name:  Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 9.12.29 AM.png
Views: 174
Size:  61.4 KB

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGPLTVF

Amazon has also recommended another vendor after I viewed this - Mission Darkness. Might be worth a look for large faraday bags which can then be put into more protective cases.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Is something like this an option? You can then put it into a normal hard / protective case?

Name:  Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 9.12.29 AM.png
Views: 174
Size:  61.4 KB

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGPLTVF
    Name:  tinfoil.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  344.6 KB

Original Post Deleted
    Walked the whole way (left side of street towards SSP) and nothing. Lots of shuttered shops though.

No worries.. found one in Yau Ma Tei. Just a big standard galvanized trunk. Across the road there were fruit stalls and some of the used polystyrene fruit boxes were discarded by the side of the road. I asked the stall holder if I could buy it, he looked at me like I'm a bit soft in the head and just gestured to take one. So I did. Needs a bit of a clean but fits in the trunk nicely. And lo! A DIY Faraday cage for a laptop. Sorted. With one day to spare.....

juanalias and jgl like this.

Can't you buy some super fine copper mesh and make a pouch?

https://qz.com/736224/heres-how-to-m...al-convention/

Offshore sailors often place their electronics in the oven (or micro wave) in case they enter a lightning storm. Oven/microwave seems to work properly as Faraday cage for these cases.

HK_Katherine and shri like this.