Like Tree23Likes

Does anyone know where I can buy a metal trunk?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

No worries.. found one in Yau Ma Tei. Just a big standard galvanized trunk. Across the road there were fruit stalls and some of the used polystyrene fruit boxes were discarded by the side of the road. I asked the stall holder if I could buy it, he looked at me like I'm a bit soft in the head and just gestured to take one. So I did. Needs a bit of a clean but fits in the trunk nicely. And lo! A DIY Faraday cage for a laptop. Sorted. With one day to spare.....

juanalias and jgl like this.

Can't you buy some super fine copper mesh and make a pouch?

https://qz.com/736224/heres-how-to-m...al-convention/

Offshore sailors often place their electronics in the oven (or micro wave) in case they enter a lightning storm. Oven/microwave seems to work properly as Faraday cage for these cases.

HK_Katherine and shri like this.

I did consider getting an old microwave!

Anyway for any one interested, the final result:Name:  SAVE_20200219_121155.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  302.5 KB
    Name:  SAVE_20200219_121140.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  247.3 KB

jgl likes this.

jgl

Is that a trunk that was specifically made to hold a styrofoam box? That's a good find, I've not noticed anything like that before.

Is there some way to test that it works for what you want?

Be careful with the white styrofoam though: it can build electricity and cause electro static discharges to e.g. a USB connector. This could damage electronics. Wrapping a smartphone or laptop could prevent such discharges to happen.

HK_Katherine likes this.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by Windmill65
    Be careful with the white styrofoam though: it can build electricity and cause electro static discharges to e.g. a USB connector. This could damage electronics. Wrapping a smartphone or laptop could prevent such discharges to happen.
    This is unlikely to be a problem with this box. There is not going to be anything that causes a static buildup inside the box- you'd need some mechanism to be transferring electrons, e.g. something constantly rubbing the styrofoam.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Is that a trunk that was specifically made to hold a styrofoam box? That's a good find, I've not noticed anything like that before.

no real way to test no. We tried the "cell phone" test (yep, it rang inside the box) before reading that this is not representative of coronal ejections anyway so not an issue.

Hubby thinks that if we have time, wrapping everything in tin foil before putting in the box is the best way to be sure...... he also offered to supply the tinfoil hats at the same time just for good measure
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl

Pure luck. I found an article on the SCMP which said there was a metal worker who made stuff in Yau Ma Tei but when I got there I could not find him. So I just wandered around. Saw a trunk identical to the above chained to a railing on the street and so took a photo of it, and walked into a nearby shop which looked like it sold metal goods. The guy took me to the back of the store where the trunk was high up on a shelf. I said "great" and he pulled it down. I walked out side the shop carrying my prized possession, to see a fruit market with a lot of "rubbish" piled up next to the stalls. There were lots of fruit boxes of various sizes and I estimated that the one I grabbed would fit in. It did. Just. It was exactly the right width, but shorter and less high, so the bits of flat polystyrene (which I had at home) worked well to fill in the sides and the top......

This whole thing is quite funny actually. It cost very little (a few hundred hkd) but hubby really likes it. And I really liked pulling it all together. Before I stopped work, I never had time to spend hours on a weekday searching shops all over SSP and YMT.... not cutting up polystyrene and doing "DIY" basically. Now I do. Less money, more happiness. (And I also found several shops selling masks and hand sanitizer while I was at it, which was a bonus!).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3