Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pkboy
  • 1 Post By hullexile

Unit Pricing and Shopping more efficiently

Closed Thread

Unit Pricing and Shopping more efficiently

Bit of shameless plug here but also advice. Hope I can help you with your panic buying of bog roll or bleach these days.

It's strange how they don't consistently do unit pricing here. At Fusion (Park N Shop) they put in the unit pricing for stuff that's on sale but rarely if ever on regularly priced items. Shops are required by law to display unit pricing in many places in the world.

It's simple enough, you divide the cost by the size then you compare the cost / unit, and pick the cheapest. Easy peasy.

However, we import products from all over the world here, which means they use all sorts of different units.
    It gets a bit hairy doing the conversions when it's like fluid ounces to mils and so on.

Anyway, here is the plug, a few years ago I wrote this app for Android that helps you calculate Unit Pricing and I was basically the only user but at least 1 other person liked it so I thought I'd spread the good word.

I had done an iOS version too but it hasn't been updated and I took it down. So for iPhone users, I just whipped up a quick web-app version so you all can use it too.

There are 2 versions for Android, one is free (ad supported) and the other is ad free for like $15 HKD.

https://blue58.co/shopping-units/

HK_Katherine likes this.

This a good idea until HK supermarkets ( one day ) get with the programme and price $ per 100grams or per individual item, for easy visual comparison with other brands on the shelf.

One of the many elements I enjoy about shopping in France and Australia is that they both do this and are pretty similar in how the whole ( pleasant ) customer shopping experience works.

If only you could develop an app that gave you abundant free parking on site, wide well stocked aisles and a relaxed, unfussed atmosphere as well. :-)

I'm sure it's no problem at all for them to do it, but like most things here it'll change when it does. And yeah, some places in North America already show unit pricing, and some shops do it voluntarily.

And yeah, I'll get the AI cloud learn computing fusion quantum reaction machine to work on that, check back in 30 years

Quote Originally Posted by pkboy:
    I'm sure it's no problem at all for them to do it, but like most things here it'll change when it does.
    No. It will change when legislation is enacted. This is pure positive non-interventionism

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/ind...t-pricing-code

Until Legco is reformed that will never happen in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    No. It will change when legislation is enacted. This is pure positive non-interventionism

A change that would benefit the citizens but very slightly inconvenience the tycoons. Never going to happen in Hong Kong.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

Agreed, I just meant it's no problem for them to implement it but as I said, like most things, it'll change when it changes (so... a vague statement implying it won't )

Do we really need another law to solve something that's not really that much of a problem?

Western countries are massively over-legislated after pandering to every special interest, it is immensely costly and when you add it all up everyone is worse off and paying 40% income tax.