Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By freeier
  • 2 Post By freeier
  • 2 Post By jgl
  • 3 Post By imparanoic
  • 1 Post By -1983-

How to buy a vase

How to buy a vase

I was at Yue Hwa recently looking at some Chinese vases for decorative purposes. Other than looking for a hand painted one vs printed design/pattern, I don't really know what other things I should look out for or what factors determine price. Some of the ones i was looking at, according to the sales staff were 20-40 years old but I don't know how they date them or if age is the main factor, other things like paint style, colors, patterns etc... Any input on this would be appreciated.

Are you buying to invest, to show off, to study, or just to use ?
    If the objective is just to place some flowers in, find the cheapest design that you like and hit it.. you won't know how many of those 30-40 years are real or fakes...

chuckster007, jgl and imparanoic like this.

Purely for decorative purposes. According the the sales staff, they are all replicas anyway, at least the ones in my price range of 3-5k for a 8'' to 15 inch or so inch vase. They seemed quite helpful but limited in their English. Mostly I'm just curios. I'd like to know something, anything about what I'm buying. Like how do I know if something I buy will appreciate or depreciate in price after some time or what makes one piece higher value over another than looks almost identical. Not that I'll necessarily base my decision on any of that, I've already got my eye on some vases and I'll be narrowing it down to one or two soon.

1. forget about the 3k-5k.. just hope to ikea or some other local home decor shops and you can probably get just as nice vase for 300 or 500hkd..

2. if you really want the value appreciation type, spend like 10 years to study the hard core knowledge of vase art.. then you look at that.. a 1hour roam at GXP will not get you anywhere to invest in something as complex as antique art..

jgl and -1983- like this.

jgl

Quote Original Post:
    Purely for decorative purposes. According the the sales staff, they are all replicas anyway, at least the ones in my price range of 3-5k for a 8'' to 15 inch or so inch vase. They seemed quite helpful but limited in their English. Mostly I'm just curios. I'd like to know something, anything about what I'm buying. Like how do I know if something I buy will appreciate or depreciate in price after some time or what makes one piece higher value over another than looks almost identical. Not that I'll necessarily base my decision on any of that, I've already got my eye on some vases and I'll be narrowing it down to one or two soon.
    I think this is one of those questions where if you have to ask, you're almost guaranteed to lose money.

This is going to be a better starting point than asking a bunch of random strangers on the internet, and then you'd probably have to add years of paying attention to auction prices.

https://www.gotheborg.com/bestbooks/
    imparanoic and -1983- like this.

Quote Original Post:
    yue wah is a tourist trap, marked prices is just silly and expensive like china arts and craft, i know as i am chinese and have been there for client's claims for chinese products and understand why there is need for flagship stores but at premium prices

if you want a decent and impressive, competitive and extensive collection of asian ceramics of all types from vases to statues, Mr Yiu is also an impressive ceramics restorer with 35 years experience and restored for my clients, ming dynasty horse and 17th century stone virgin mary, also he speaks ok english as well unlike yue wah staff :-

Wah Tung China Arts
    16/fl, cheung fat building, 7-9 hill st
    western district, hk island
    jgl, -1983- and kittykaitak like this.

Quote Original Post:
    yue wah is a tourist trap, marked prices is just silly and expensive like china arts and craft, i know as i am chinese and have been there for client's claims for chinese products and understand why there is need for flagship stores but at premium prices

if you want a decent and impressive, competitive and extensive collection of asian ceramics of all types from vases to statues, Mr Yiu is also an impressive ceramics restorer with 35 years experience and restored for my clients, ming dynasty horse and 17th century stone virgin mary, also he speaks ok english as well unlike yue wah staff :-

Wah Tung China Arts
    16/fl, cheung fat building, 7-9 hill st
    western district, hk island

Thanks, I've been meaning to check out the Central and Sheung Wan area for this but thought I would start out at Yue Hwa to get a good idea of what to look for and as a reference for pricing. They do offer 30 and 40% "discounts" right off but seemed willing to go a bit further.

Quote Original Post:
    I think this is one of those questions where if you have to ask, you're almost guaranteed to lose money.

This is going to be a better starting point than asking a bunch of random strangers on the internet, and then you'd probably have to add years of paying attention to auction prices.

https://www.gotheborg.com/bestbooks/
    Definitely not looking to learn about art lol. I guess I was looking for basic stuff from anyone who might have bought some locally, like 'check for cracks' or 'see if the paint peels if you run your fingernail across the surface'. I did read a few articles on vases but they seemed more geared towards collectors buying high end stuff talking about checking for stamps on the bottom and asking for a certificate. I guess it doesn't matter much in the end I will go with the prettiest vase I can find in my price range and try to haggle a bit to a "reasonable" price.
    jgl likes this.