View Poll Results: What type of eggs do you usually buy?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Local Chinese from the wet maket

8 12.90%
  • Thai / Malaysian / Singaporian

20 32.26%
  • USA / Australian

16 25.81%
  • European

4 6.45%
  • Corn Feed Chinese

1 1.61%
  • Organic

3 4.84%
  • Japan / Korea

19 30.65%
  • The cheapest

9 14.52%
  • I choose based on shell color

1 1.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree17Likes

Where and What Eggs do you buy?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Too many deteriorated yolks in USA eggs going rotten. Always the ones in the cardboard cases from Wellcome and yes had good sell by dates.

periphery831 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:
    Too many deteriorated yolks in USA eggs going rotten. Always the ones in the cardboard cases from Wellcome and yes had good sell by dates.
    Narrow escape. Thanks for the tip!

I'd normally buy one thousand year eggs or if they run out, salty eggs.

We had a similar thread on this many years ago, but it is worth repeating:

American eggs should never be purchased at room temperature. US eggs must ALWAYS be refrigerated due to the processing system in place in the United State for egg production.

Basically, American (Japanese, Australian and Scandanavian) eggs are washed at the farm, removing all the chicken poo and farm materials, but in the process, also removing the protective membrane that surrounds the egg. This increases the risk of bacteria growing on the shell and infecting the egg, so eggs are cold-chained from farm to the market.

European (and most other countries) do not require eggs to be washed at the farm, instead suggesting individual consumers do so when they get home. European hens, unlike American ones, are vaccinated against salmonella so the risk of the eggs getting infected is reduced. This means they are capable of being transported at room temperature and sold in a wet market, etc.

Anyway, this has been written about a few times and occasionally comes up as part of EU/USA trade negotiations. Politicians and Netziens often debate which way is better but many scientists have said "the end goal of both systems is to reduce salmonella, which is in everyone's best interest."

You should NEVER buy American eggs in a wet market. That's just crazy. I've actually written FEHD telling them they should stop this process and they wrote back saying "yes, yes, you are right" but they don't actually enforce it. I've even seen some Wellcomes store American eggs in the aisles because there wasn't enough space in the cold section (and not knowing they shouldn't).

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...e-world-doesnt
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaar.../#2be08e584050

AsianXpat0 and periphery831 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    US eggs have problems? I'm English BTW, so slate the US all ya like.
    Not much to add after @pinguinsix

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:
    ^This^

Never encountered a rotten egg before until buying US eggs here when we first moved. Never bought again. Frankly avoid most of the US animal product imports here, especially at Wellcome/PnS, horrible quality previously frozen meats, chicken legs always broken.

Usually Korean or Japanese eggs, making sure they have the tamperproof package. From Yata or Jason's.

I am curious about the green eggs I've seen in the market though!

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    We had a similar thread on this many years ago, but it is worth repeating:

American eggs should never be purchased at room temperature. US eggs must ALWAYS be refrigerated due to the processing system in place in the United State for egg production.

Basically, American (Japanese, Australian and Scandanavian) eggs are washed at the farm, removing all the chicken poo and farm materials, but in the process, also removing the protective membrane that surrounds the egg. This increases the risk of bacteria growing on the shell and infecting the egg, so eggs are cold-chained from farm to the market.

European (and most other countries) do not require eggs to be washed at the farm, instead suggesting individual consumers do so when they get home. European hens, unlike American ones, are vaccinated against salmonella so the risk of the eggs getting infected is reduced. This means they are capable of being transported at room temperature and sold in a wet market, etc.

Anyway, this has been written about a few times and occasionally comes up as part of EU/USA trade negotiations. Politicians and Netziens often debate which way is better but many scientists have said "the end goal of both systems is to reduce salmonella, which is in everyone's best interest."

You should NEVER buy American eggs in a wet market. That's just crazy. I've actually written FEHD telling them they should stop this process and they wrote back saying "yes, yes, you are right" but they don't actually enforce it. I've even seen some Wellcomes store American eggs in the aisles because there wasn't enough space in the cold section (and not knowing they shouldn't).

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...e-world-doesnt
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaar.../#2be08e584050
    that’s interesting but I am sure all the eggs I used to buy in the Uk were pretty clean.

Organic Valley Free Range

Never had a problem with them.

I think you only get rotten eggs from Wellcome and PNS, they also constantly sell mouldy imported berries.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    that’s interesting but I am sure all the eggs I used to buy in the Uk were pretty clean.
    It could be the handling that breaks down. When I was considering the (stacks and stacks of) discounted US eggs they were in the refrigerated section, but can you count on everyone having kept them properly chilled along the way? Maybe to the UK it might have been different (or just better luck) than to Hong Kong.

So if you were to buy US eggs from a wet market stored at room temp, salmonella poisoning is likely, unlikely?