Like Tree14Likes

Hong Kong Amazon?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hong Kong Amazon?

Hi folks ,

I’m moving in a few weeks to Hong Kong and am curious what the Hong Kong equivalent of amazon really ?

thanks !

there isn't really an equivalent in terms of choice and service. Often you'll find better deal by buying from Amazon US/UK.

You can check HKTV mall which would be the closest one. Then it's split by product category like Zalora for cloth for example.
    For electronics you can check price.com.hk, they will list all the sellers in HK with the product you want and the price, up to you then to go there and buy it directly, HK has great transport so it's pretty easy.

You can also buy from Taobao but not sure if they have an English version, I don't use it but heard of people asking their local friends to help with ordering.

It terms of books HK is super expensive and has limited choice, so for me I just have my Kindle linked to my Amazon UK account.

For bargain you can go on all these Facebook group like Hong Kong buy/sell, Hong Kong buy/swap etc.... they even have one for most district. The HK culture isn't geared toward second hand stuff, they like to throw stuff out and won't buy something that's been used. So you can make great deal as people sell or give away stuff. I bought a brand new 42 inches Samsung TV for 200hkd from a couple that had to leave the day after.

Anyway, welcome to HK, you will soon find out that space is restricted and will have to stop buying appliances you use only once every blue moon here.

jrkob and TaD_LaLa like this.

Also check out carousell.com, plenty of bargains to be found

Price is competitive with US prices on some items but the catch is its a cash price. That's OK to pay in cash and also pick it up but without using a credit card you lose return and extended warranty protections. The retail model in HK is basically take it or leave it, customer is a crook out to cheat the seller as far as returns and refunds. Once the transaction is consumated even if its just one day after purchase then any problems should be directed to the manufacturer. Refunds are viewed as attempted fraud by retailers. The retail industry doesn't remove any pain points the customer may feel because they don't have to. Locals accept it and never question that its not in line with developed country norms IMO. For electronics, you have two larrge retailers similar to Best Buy (in footprint but not in product selction, price and customer service) and a host of other discounters often selling parallel goods for which their may be no legal warranty in Hong Kong. The latter operate in the fringes of society in large flea market like electronics malls in MK and SSP.

Levity (emphasized) but if there were ever a BLM style consumer revolt I think stores llike Fortress and Broadway would be looted and completely charred to to the ground. The electroncs malls would also be pillaged and inflammed for their tactics as well but to a leser degree.

Last edited by RMDNC; 27-06-2020 at 01:29 PM.
    biffski likes this.

The alternative to Amazon is Amazon. Imports are tax and duty free. Setup a re-shipper and keep buying from Amazon.

biffski likes this.

Before Covid US Amazon was doing free delivery to HK with USD50 spend on most small/lightweight products. Hopefully that will return as it was great for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Before Covid US Amazon was doing free delivery to HK with USD50 spend on most small/lightweight products. Hopefully that will return as it was great for a while.
    Yup, they will reinstate it in due time. No need to get raped by the reshippers. I thin even Geo is or was try to arbitrage consumer needs for product selection and price competitiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Yup, they will reinstate it in due time. No need to get raped by the reshippers. I thin even Geo is or was try to arbitrage consumer needs for product selection and price competitiveness.
    Sigh, get a grip and tone down the reflexive rhetoric. The cost of reshipping services are well under the cost of USPS surface mail or any other paid delivery service out of the US.
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Even with the reshipping fees, most things are still around 50% of what they cost in HK. For example Levis jeans: Amazon $35 USD, Levis HK: $1000 HKD

On average shipping costs add 30% to the cost of the items. Reshipping is so cheap that I used to order hundreds of pounds of dry dog food from Amazon at once and it was still cheaper than buying from HK.

Edit: My last shipments was $116 USD with DHL express for $471 USD worth of stuff.

200 pounds of dog food at $1900 USD cost $485 USD to ship with Fedex economy. Comes to around $12 USD per pound, including shipping. Comparable dog food in HK costs $1500 HK for 4kg, or about $22 USD per pound. Not too far off from 50% less.

Last edited by mrgoodkat; 30-06-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast