Like Tree6Likes

Buying fish in wet market

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by SV32:
    Can anyone advise a good fish to buy for pan frying whole? In the UK I'd go with something like sea bream, bass, or even snapper.

I don't know the names of Chinese fish, so what's a good local one for this?
    Pomfret aka Pompano
    Name:  chinese-pomfret-fish-500x500.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  24.0 KB

I bought fish at the Wan Chai Wet Market all the time. I only patronized the fish mongers inside the building and never had any complaints. They'd gut and scale the fish without me asking. Most locals want whole fish so I don't think filleting is that common.

Pomfret is great, have had it in Bombay and Dubai, but have not seen it in HK, are they likely to have it in wet market?
    And is pompano the Chinese name?
    Thanks

Pomfret is great, have had it in Bombay and Dubai, but have not seen it in HK, are they likely to have it in wet market?
    And is pompano the Chinese name?
    Thanks
    No idea the Chinese name. I just point to what I want. Saw them all over the Wan Chai wet market.

Great that's what I'll get then, I am hoping they understand clean and gut lol

huja likes this.

Pomfret in chinese is 鯧魚.

In cantonese it is pronounced "Chong yue". You probably won't need to ask for it, as these are usually displayed prominently in sight, so just a matter of pointing at it..

chuckster007, SV32, huja and 1 others like this.

Great that's what I'll get then, I am hoping they understand clean and gut lol
    Point & use cutting motion of your hands also works

Thanks a lot, those characters just look like 2 stoves to me , I wish I paid more attention in class!!
    Now for this rain to stop for a bit so I actually leave the apartment!!