Like Tree6Likes

Buying fish in wet market

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying fish in wet market

I am moving to Wan Chai next week, and understand it has one of the best wet markets in town.

Right now I eat fish 3-4 times a week, and generally buy the frozen fillets from M&S or Fusion, or sometimes splash out in fresh from City Super.

I wanted to know if people have experience of buying fresh fish in wet markets, particularly wanchai, what the prices are like, and if you can ask them to clean and fillet it for you, as you would back home, or do they only sell it whole, as that's how the locals like to eat it?

Appreciate any advice, and no, I don't speak a word of Cantonese after 2 years here!

They won’t fillet it, They’ll clean it for you though.

Cheap enough for you to learn how to fillet it at home though.

Talking from my experience in market in TW.

They will get rid of the guts etc, but generally they won't fillet it for you.

But it depends on the shop and the type of fish. Eel and certain part of carps are commonly being fillet because people like to have it for hotpot. They might charge slightly more: 5-10 dollar more.

Some huge fish, will be cut into pieces, you can probably buy the certain cut with less bone.

Price wise, price between shops generally similar.

watch out for the quality of fish, some fishmongers are really bad here. The eyes should look clean and white. The gills should be bright red. After a while you will recognize which guy is legit.

you can make some good deals compared to buying in supermarket. Got some big tuna for 70 hkd the other day.

Check out the lanes leading to the wet market coming out from the Wanchai MTR.

Some of the fish are still flopping around just before you pick your dinner, so quite fresh!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    They won’t fillet it, They’ll clean it for you though.

Cheap enough for you to learn how to fillet it at home though.
    I disagree with that. I live near wanchai market since 7 years and there are some shop which will be very happy to fillet your fish, just need to select the right ones...mainly in the shops inside the wet market and not the street outside

Yes, wanchai market is nice for fresh fish and the prices are very reasonable...especially if you compare to the M&S, fusion or city super ripp off...
    You will have no problem to find fresh fish on the ice (mainly inside the covered wet market) or inside/outside for love fish in tank. Just have a look first to see which shops are the better. In my case I always in 3 different ones, 1 outside and 2 inside the wet market and never had an issue on the quality and freshness in 7 years.

Sage likes this.

Isn't 3 to 4 times a week too much? I guess it depends on the type of fish though.

Can anyone advise a good fish to buy for pan frying whole? In the UK I'd go with something like sea bream, bass, or even snapper.

I don't know the names of Chinese fish, so what's a good local one for this?

Quote Originally Posted by SV32:
    Can anyone advise a good fish to buy for pan frying whole? In the UK I'd go with something like sea bream, bass, or even snapper.

I don't know the names of Chinese fish, so what's a good local one for this?
    download google translate app on your phone, set English to Traditional Chinese, type what you want and it will translate it and show to the fish monger. they will appreciate it and recommend you the correct fish to fry.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast