Like Tree43Likes

Buying a Real Christmas Tree (2020)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

I always wonder why every single shopping mall and commercial lobby needs to have a fresh cut tree... we're a non-Christian society in the tropics.
    One of the attractive things about Hong Kong is its history, its melting pot of East/West cultures that influence architecture, art, music, religion etc. Hong Kong would be a lesser place without it.

Having said that I can't see it being long before religion is discouraged and Christmas Trees start to disappear (in fact there isn't one in Central this year I believe??) So, not long before HK becomes just another Chinese city.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    If you're brave to order on Taobao there are plenty of trees available. Price is under 200Rmb for 1.8m. Delivery is 180Rmb with Sf express.

https://shop100212528.world.taobao.com/
    Thanks for the link! I ordered a 2.1-2.3m for 235RMB + about the same for delivery. It was sent from near Shanghai and arrived yesterday.

For those that were curious what a tree from Taobao looks like, see the pics below (sans decorations). It's 2.3m tall.

East_coast, Elegiaque and Cornmeal like this.

We ordered a 1.8m tree. They chopped off the roots and it's down to 1.5m.

Name:  PXL_20201208_055749709.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  4.07 MB

Name:  PXL_20201213_023411029.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  4.40 MB

Fresh cut
    Right before you put the tree in the stand for display, cut 1 inch or so off the base of the tree. All Christmas trees are conifers, which contain resin canals in their trunks. Once the trees are cut, resin will begin to block some of the pores and slow water uptake. Making a fresh cut will help increase water uptake by your tree.

If the tree has been cut within the last six to eight hours, it will not need to be re-cut; however, any longer than that then the end should be re-cut to improve water uptake.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/water_...on%20per%20day.

shri likes this.

My balding tree

Name:  PXL_20201219_034049099.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  4.00 MB

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    My balding tree
    Is it not in water?!

Could those Taobao Christmas tree-with-roots people please update how long the tree stays good for?

I think our cut tree that came from a little local supplier was maybe cut and kept 3 weeks on a ship until it arrived here. It's the second time I found the trees really quite tree. You barely touch it and a handful of needles come off. I gave it a good washing and a couple of showers before I brought it in, but still...

Maybe in the future we should consider this Taobao tree-with-roots option... and yes, I'd find somewhere to plant a non-native tree. (Certainly better than the piles of rubbish or concrete that litter most villages...)

It took a week to get and I had to go pick it up bc SF didn't deliver on the day they promised (I was worried that it might be on its way out). It was really light for the height so I thought it was going to be a Charlie Brown model BUT it's a damn handsome tree, super prickly, fragrant (but only up close) and it's doing well in the pot. Trimmed all the main roots, not sure how long it will last but so far so good.

Name:  Screenshot_2020-12-19-12-57-38~2.png
Views: 198
Size:  3.43 MB

Last edited by Cornmeal; 19-12-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Is it not in water?!
    It is in water. I should have cut a bit off or holes. Know better for next time. Son says roots are better. So will try that next year.
    Taobao is definitely the way to go!
    Elegiaque likes this.

Looks like these aren't holding their needles very well

shri likes this.

My friend's brother used to cut Christmas trees- in August or September or some such early time and then they froze them somewhere. Was shocked when I found out so that explained needles falling off...they did it somewhere cold (upstate NY) and needed to go to remote places before the snow fell and made transport impossible...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4