Like Tree43Likes

Buying a Real Christmas Tree (2020)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Buying a Real Christmas Tree (2020)

I'm planning on buying a real Christmas tree from Prince Edward flower market this year and wondered if there are any tree experts who may be able to answer a few questions...

1. The price for a 4-5 foot tree seems to be around $1100-1280. Is that a reasonable price for a tree in HK? Are prices always this high or is Covid screwing things up?
    2. Is it likely that prices will come down as the weeks roll on or get higher?
    3. My biggest concern is that if I buy a tree now it'll be dead or all the needles will have dropped off by the 25th. Has anyone had this experience before? I've never bought a real tree before so I have no idea how long they last other than what Google tells me, but I'm unsure what affect the humidity/AC would have on a tree!
    4. The sellers have told me they have no more stock coming in....I realise we're living in a post apocalyptic Covid nightmare but how likely is that to be true? I've noticed a lot of the professional Christmas tree websites (e.g. https://xmastreeonline.hk/) are sold out for this year.

I realise the answers to some of these questions may unknown but I would really appreciate if anyone out there has any experience with buying trees in HK!

Thanks for your help!

Imho right now is the time to book/pay your Christmas tree. You can ask the shop to keep it for a couple more weeks before you take it home..

The first year in HK I went the week of 8th Dec, which is when you traditionally buy a tree in my home country, and they laughed at me...saying tree sold out in November.

Prices are not gonna come down..in my experience if you don't sort it out before end of November, you're gonna find yourself without a tree.

dave_van_damn likes this.

Growing the tree, labour to tend for it, water, fertiliser, felling it, keeping it from dying before, during and after transportation, storage, delivery, drivers, overheads, marketing costs, commercial business rental, petrol, insurance, any commission, business rates, employees' salaries, warehousing etc.

These costs and more have to be recouped to at the very least break even, if they're lucky in this C19. era they might make a profit.

Just got a 4-5 foot tree the past weekend - 880hkd at the store on sai yee street with plenty of trees. I used to go browse around dec 8th, but the lack of choices always made the experience a bit stressful. This year went in advance, paid and will go pick up in a couple of weeks. Look forward for that Christmas feeling

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    Growing the tree, labour to tend for it, water, fertiliser, felling it, keeping it from dying before, during and after transportation, storage, delivery, drivers, overheads, marketing costs, commercial business rental, petrol, insurance, any commission, business rates, employees' salaries, warehousing etc.

These costs and more have to be recouped to at the very least break even, if they're lucky in this C19. era they might make a profit.
    The trees retail for about $19-40CAD where they are likely imported from. So about ~10X markup for the shipping the rest is done anywhere these trees are sold. They come from tree farms, there is no tending to individual trees.

Longest we kept one was till March, took all the decorations off but since it was still good and smells so good, seemed a shame to chuck it. If it's a moderately healthy tree, which it should be at that price, should get 3-4wks minimum. Just top up water daily/as needed and add a little sugar or sprite.

If when inspecting the tree if you can't run your hand through it without a lot of needles falling off its not the best pick. It should also have a strong fragrant smell.

Make sure an inch is cut off the bottom before it's put into the tree stand.

https://www.bhg.com/christmas/trees/...n%20the%20tree.
    Last edited by Cornmeal; 26-11-2020 at 09:56 PM.
    Mrs. Jones and dave_van_damn like this.

Thanks for the replies! Great advice. We bought the freshest tree we could find and ran hand through branches to check for loose needles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Make sure an inch is cut off the bottom before it's put into the tree stand.
    https://www.bhg.com/christmas/trees/...n%20the%20tree.
    The tree was already in a stand when we purchased it - do you think I’ll need to take it out and cut an inch off it?

Most trees have been sold out for now, you might be able to wrangle something at the flower markets but it will cost you. The 6-7 foot I wanted was 3000 all in all

Was able to get a 5-6 foot from this place in Wan Chai for less than 2k: https://www.ledor.co/

Have not had a problem with trees lasting, just make sure they are watered and that you are not using a dehumidifier nearby

Quote Originally Posted by dave_van_damn:
    Thanks for the replies! Great advice. We bought the freshest tree we could find and ran hand through branches to check for loose needles.

The tree was already in a stand when we purchased it - do you think I’ll need to take it out and cut an inch off it?
    Maybe, basically the longer it's been cut the more sap it releases to seal itself off. That's why it's important to top off the water twice a day, once in the morning and before bed. You'd be surprised how much the tree can drink. If it goes dry it seals off and then isn't able to get water.

Another option is the 24 hour Wellcome in Causeway Bay.

In the past they always had plenty of trees available right up to the 25th, but of course things may have changed this year.

Quote Originally Posted by chiam:
    Just got a 4-5 foot tree the past weekend - 880hkd at the store on sai yee street with plenty of trees. I used to go browse around dec 8th, but the lack of choices always made the experience a bit stressful. This year went in advance, paid and will go pick up in a couple of weeks. Look forward for that Christmas feeling
    We just picked up one today, roughly same size from Prince Edward flower market for HKD1.6k.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast