Cheated in Sham Shui Po

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cheated in Sham Shui Po

Been to Sham Shui Po today and bought a second hand Nokia N95.

I asked to see the GPS working but the shop keeper refused saying I'd need to download the maps for Hong Kong on my own, GPS would not work otherwise.

So I bought the phone and went home to do that.

But when I looked closely the phone has no GPS at all nor the wifi function Nokia N95 original is supposed to have.

I've been scammed!

Quote Originally Posted by justarrivedhk:
    Been to Sham Shui Po today and bought a second hand Nokia N95.

I asked to see the GPS working but the shop keeper refused saying I'd need to download the maps for Hong Kong on my own, GPS would not work otherwise.

So I bought the phone and went home to do that.

But when I looked closely the phone has no GPS at all nor the wifi function Nokia N95 original is supposed to have.

I've been scammed!
    Caveat emptor...

What are my legal options?

Of course I'm gonna try getting my money back in a friendly way, but have a feeling it's not gonna work on those rather experienced scammers.

I have the Consumer Council and Tourism Board phones, will they help?

that sounds like a N95 from the mainland. The wifi and GPS (and 3G) are all turned off. No way to activate it.

best bet to exchange for a HK version.

Quote Originally Posted by reinkarnation:
    that sounds like a N95 from the mainland. The wifi and GPS (and 3G) are all turned off. No way to activate it.

"mainland version" is nicer way to refer to a knockoff version, as "turned off functions" is an euphemism for non-existent functions.

Called Tourism Board today and they said Consumer Council might be able to help, will call them tomorrow and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by reinkarnation:

Go back first and try this idea AFTER you do some research on what phones will meet your needs as well as doing some price checks.

Quote Originally Posted by justarrivedhk:
    "mainland version" is nicer way to refer to a knockoff version, as "turned off functions" is an euphemism for non-existent functions.
    They are not knockoffs. Chinese regulation requires that phones have W-Lan turned off (or as you said it is non-existent). Same with the 3G, no support in the mainland, thus turned off (or again, non-existent).

to clarify:

There's basically two N95 versions, one is the mainland Chinese version and the other one is for the rest of the world (including Hong Kong). The mainland version lacks 3G, W-Lan and possibly GPS. All the other versions have it, including the HK version.

I have a N95 from HK, and it has all the functions. I also have a N82 (and also saw a friend's mainland N95) from the mainland, and it lacks W-Lan, GPS and 3G.

The shop should have told you that it is a Mainland N95, so I would suggest to try to exchange it for a HK version at the same shop.

how much did you pay for your n95?

Thanks for clarifying and sorry for my ignorance

Nokia N95 is being sold for 1900HKD. They had one though that was a bit scratched and they were asking 1500HKD, I got this one.

I still think though it was fake as the camera resolution was VGA and not 5MP as the real deal, plus I checked some videos on Youtube comparing the real and copy ones.

Anyways, issue has been settled and now I've a Nokia E71 with working GPS and wifi

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast